RMS Majestic The Magic Stick

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Righteo - another hands up for those questioning Mark's use of the word 'rare'!

How about 'in the likely event...'?

Looking forward to adding it to the shelf alongside its 'sister' volumes, Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
I'm sure there are plenty of 'loose words' on my website.
wink.gif
I added the cover to the Majestic book page, at the same time constructing a new page for the next book -- on Aquitania. Perhaps there will be another Majestic 'gallery' of illustrations that did not make the final selection, in time. Meanwhile, thanks again to Mark Baber for posting the Majestic cover in this thread.

In terms of the publication date, apparently there's a rumour that publication was put back to November. Mainmast reported that. From what I've been told, that's not the case at all. The proofs have been already corrected and returned to the publisher, and from past experience with the previous two books a late August or September publication date seems very likely.

In time, I'll add the purchase links to my website. As it is, here's the book on the publisher's page (I assume it'll be updated with the cover and publication date):

http://www.tempus-publishing.com/bookdetails.php?isbn=0752438778

And the book on my page:

http://www.markchirnside.co.uk/RMS_MAJESTIC.htm

My thanks to everyone who has supported the project and shown an interest. After all, if nobody bought the thing it would be killing all those trees for nothing!

Best wishes,

Mark.

May 12, 2005
Wishing you all the best, Mark, on your latest. I’ve been meaning to send you a copy of an interview with Edith Russell in which she mentions Majestic as one of her favorite ships.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Mark,

quote:

at the same time constructing a new page for the next book -- on Aquitania.
I'd be very interested in reading this one as well. Have you got a title for it yet?

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to your book on Majestic. As I've stated here before, with your terrific research skills, I have no doubt that it will be a well researched and enjoyable read.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jan 5, 2001
Thanks Randy. She was in good company -- one thing that really struck me during my research was just how popular Majestic was...she really wiped the floor with the competition.

I appreciate your interest, Jason. Yes, the Aquitania details are on the website. I just hope the Majestic book lives up to your expectations.

Best wishes,

Mark.

T

Trevor William Sturdy

Hi Mark,
Glad to hear publication date is getting closer. I have a copy of both you're previous books(obtained with a little help from Inger)and found them to be well researched and written. Any future publications from yourself will be a "must have" for my collection.
Regards.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
I have just received the book RMS Olympic, Titanic's Sister today, and I must really say it was a wonderful book.

I look forward to purchasing your next book on the Majestic which currently information on it is not widely available in books. This will change all that!

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Trevor,

I sincerely appreciate your kind words. I am particularly glad that you have enjoyed my previous two books, and I hope you enjoy the Majestic book just as much.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Jeremy,

quote:

I have just received the book RMS Olympic, Titanic's Sister today, and I must really say it was a wonderful book.
Thanks for buying the book! I am really pleased you like it. The irony is that, of my previous two books, the Olympic one is by far my favourite, yet the ‘Olympic’ class one has outsold it due to the wider subject interest. You'll have to let me know which bits you enjoyed reading the most.

quote:

I look forward to purchasing your next book on the Majestic which currently information on it is not widely available in books. This will change all that!
Thank you. I do hope that I have uncovered some interesting information — there’s certainly some unpublished material in there, as well as new photographs and illustrations. For instance, few people are aware that the Majestic went to sea with fewer lifeboats than she needed to accommodate the number of passengers and crew that she was certified to carry. There’s a simple explanation, but it would be telling if I outlined that here — got to whip up some interest, you know?
wink.gif
Some interesting problems were encountered after the war, when she had to meet British regulations rather than German ones; while there’s new material about her infamous crack; and some myths that seem to be at the forefront of Majestic’s history in numerous books yet are simply untrue if the facts are checked.

Best wishes,

Mark.​

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your very kind words, I appreciate them. I’m glad you found that page on the website of use.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Hi Mark,

The main reason why I liked the book was the fact that you placed the Olympic as a liner of its own class, unlike other books where it was always tied to the Titanic in one way or another. I have always wanted a book on the Olympic in detail, and your fitted it perfectly! Every part of the book was great, including the photographs and the research put in I must say is amazing.

I am looking forward to your book on the Majestic, especially her early years as the 'illegitimate' HAPAG Bismarck and the transfer to White Star in 1922!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
So, Mark, when is this title going to become available for purchase? If your first two books are any indication of your standard of research, I expect that this one...to say nothing of your upcoming Aquatania work...will be "must haves" for the serious liner enthusiast.

Jan 5, 2001
Thanks for your kind words, Jeremy. I agree -- Olympic deserves being in a class of her own.

Mike, other than what I've said above I have no further information. I appreciate your very kind words.

Best wishes,

Mark.

L

Luke Mack

mark

when will this book be available?
..im so excited about it....but amazonuk always pushes back the shipping date.

Jan 5, 2001
Dear Luke,

I am flattered! Many thanks for your interest, and your kind words. I can't speak as to what Amazon are doing -- by far the best option (certainly for the author and probably for speedy delivery) is ordering through the publisher.

The book has been released. Here's the direct link:

http://www.markchirnside.co.uk/RMS_MAJESTIC.htm

It contains a link to Tempus' website, while I am also selling signed copies on ebay.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Mark,

Congratulations on your book being released! I hope it does as well as The Olympic Class Ships and RMS Olympic. I'll be sure to purchase a copy when I can.

Again, all the best with it!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif