RMS Majestic The Magic Stick

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I got my copy last Saturday. It's an impressive work. It's a shame the ship didn't have a longer lifespan. That photo of the gutted shell which was already partially cut up was a bit depressing, but then fires aren't known for doing nice things to ships.

Jan 5, 2001
I'm really glad you liked it, Michael. Thank you for your kind words.

There are some even more depressing photos looking down into a mass of twisted pipework and mangled metal. I did consider including them, but partly due to space constraints I was not able to. While they're of interest as well, I did think the 1944 view you mentioned was very appropriate. It's something of an irony that the 1914 pride of Germany's merchant fleet became a British naval vessel in the late 1930s, and then had her quality steel used for Britain's war effort. By 1944, there was little doubt which way the war was going.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It's even more ironic that after being broken up, she became several British naval vessels. There was plenty of steel for the dozen or so destroyers and cruisers mentioned in the report you cited. I wonder who the manufacturer was...Krupp?

Jan 5, 2001
Yes indeed.

It may have been Krupp. I don't remember.

Bismarck's keel structure included plates thirty-three feet long and some 1.4 inches thick -- 'high toxic, non-corrodible chrome nickel steel.'

Best wishes,

Mark.