RMS Mauretania Bookend Images 735TH Post 19071931 COLOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

This is my 735TH post at ET - 735 being the hull number of my beloved Mauretania. I have enjoyed joining the various discussions, adding what I could and making new friends here. I know I promised I'd make something really neat for this post, but my health has been bad these last few days and this is the best I could do with some images I already had scanned. A set of rather perfect "bookend" images, looking forward from 1907 and 1931. The first, published only once in color, may very well be true color, the second is shown here for the first time and it is remarkable to find such a match of angle for this type of comparison. The Mauretania threads have been very quiet for some time - perhaps someone has a photograph or two they'd like to share? I know I'd like to see some! In any event, enjoy!

R.M.S. Mauretania 1907 & 1931

Best wishes,
Eric

Interesting images and taken from exactly the same angle. If one has a very sharp eye, you can see some of the changes which were made in the ship in the 24 years seperating the snaps. That ball in the rigging in the '07 photo is missing from the '24 shot. The frames around the windows are painted white as well.

A great find, Eric. Thanks for sharing it.

Hi Mike,

My pleasure Mike, and I am really glad you enjoyed them. I have several pairs of images like this, but these two are clearly the closest match.
There are several differences between the two as you mentioned - down to the deck bench added on the starboard side of the second class deck house. In the second photo, just out of frame on the left along the center line on the side of the second class deck house facing the stern, is a tiny ventilator added during the refit that followed her July 1921 fire. This ventilator was in place before her return to service on March 25, 1922.
About a year and a half after the second photograph was taken the Mauretania was painted into white livery at the "New Docks" in Southampton for her return to cruise service in June of 1933. At this time there was a salt water canvas swimming pool added just forward of the second class deck house, as well as a "new" Sports deck among other modifications and additions.

Best,
Eric

>>There are several differences between the two as you mentioned <<

One could have quite a time comparing photos with each other of the same ship. The times change and the ships change with them in order to keep up. I wonder how many photos like yours are gathering dust in an attic for want of anybody who understands their historical value.

Hi Jason
happy.gif

I am very pleased you liked them! To answer your question, one would have to be on the starboard side of the aft docking bridge to get this vantage - looking down on the second class deck house.
How have you been? Your new year get off to a good start?
I really had something else much more ambitious planned for this 735th post (like the composites I did you might remember with all the relevant "Club Mauretania" memorabilia like the table number card or dried fruits from luncheon "on top of" the fancy hat ball candid looking down the octagon or the Lounge photo with the Paul Jones dance in full swing) but the last few days have been hard on me and I have been mostly just sleeping and eating.
I was asked why "1906-1936" and not "1935" on the image I made as that date is often quoted in regard to her scrapping process. To me, she entered the water 4:15 pm Sept. 20th 1906 and, technically, the last bundle of scrap not was hauled ashore from Tidal Beach No. 3 at Rosyth until late April of 1936.

Best,
Eric

quote:

To me, she entered the water 4:15 pm Sept. 20th 1906 and, technically, the last bundle of scrap not was hauled ashore from Tidal Beach No. 3 at Rosyth until late April of 1936.
I totally understand.

You always have such marvelous photo/image montages!
proud.gif

E

Ellen Grace Butland

Many, many thanks, and I hope you are better soon.
Most people put her date of 'death' as when she entered drydock at Rosyth on 4/7/35 but demolition did not begin until 21/8/35, and as you say, her diminishing remnants were afloat until April 1936.

Hi Eric,

What wonderful images! Many thanks as always for sharing them with us
happy.gif
I have seen your 1907 colour image before and its clarity and realism never ceases to amaze me - I guess it's just about the nearest we'll get to seeing the ship herself!

So sorry to hear you've not been well lately, hope you are feeling better now.

Take care,

Lucy.

Hi Lucy
happy.gif

Glad you liked the images, and so good to hear from you. Hope you have been well. I've got a few new photographs in my collection you'll like - I share scans when I write you.

Best always,
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.