RMS Mauretania spoon

Chad Goodwin

Aug 2, 2006
Years ago when my Grandmother passed away i found in her things a little sterling silver spoon with an enameled picture of the MAURETANIA on it.......my granny never did any traveling.....don't know where it came from.....was these spoons sold onboard?????

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Yes, they were - as souvenirs in the barber shops. Possibly later given away or inherited, of course. Pic below is a fairly standard design which I've seen with different names and pics for use by various shipping Lines, including Cunard and White Star, but this wasn't the only type available. Suppliers and their spoon designs weren't fixed, and there were also generally variations in design and quality of spoons available to different passenger classes.

133947.jpg

Chad Goodwin

Aug 2, 2006
thats similar to mine....it doesn't have Mauretania on the handle but instead on the enamel part above the ship............Thanks BOB

Chad Goodwin

Aug 2, 2006
lol...squatty toad syndrome.......too funny...........guess my Lusitania lapel pin that shows the Lusitania with blue funnels was sold the same way?????? waits for Trevors pics of Pins.....
happy.gif

Trevor Powell

Aug 22, 2005
Hi Mike, Thanks!

Hi Chad, As for pins, I'm sure I have one or two around. I'm not home at the moment, but I will post photos once I am.

Trevor Powell

Aug 22, 2005
A celluloid c.1894 Cunard pin geared towards encouraging Swedish immigrants to sail on their line:

133997.jpg

The paper backing indicates that it was manufactured in Newark, New Jersey. I suspect your Lusitania celluloid pin originated from there too.

Trevor Powell

Aug 22, 2005
Not exactly a useful item, but like most onboard souvenirs, its main potential was to collect dust:
134001.jpg

This trinket is a souvenir miniature urn, created from copper. It's a generic example of a Pre-WWI Cunard souvenir.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
"A spoon dating from early in the Lusitania's service:..."

Hi Trevor,

I have the identical sterling spoon but Mauretania dated 1913. Bear in mind your Lusitania spoon can be dated from the hallmarks, but more importantly, it may never have been aboard the Lusi in the first place. These high-end souvenirs were available on the Mauretania, Aquitania etc. For all I know, mine may have been purchased aboard the Lusitania. There is no way to tell as far as I know
sad.gif

Best wishes,
Eric

Trevor Powell

Aug 22, 2005
Hi Eric,
How are you doing? I have little reason to doubt the origins of the spoon as having come from the Lusitania considering I purchased it with a large lot of memorabilia from an April 1912 crossing aboard the Lusitania. The grouping came from the estate of the passengers and included onboard snapshots, stationary, a heavy crystal ashtray etched with the Cunard logo, postcards mailed during the voyage and those stevensgraph "woven-in-silk" postcards bearing images of the Lusitania.
Out of curiosity, how do we know these spoons were available on other ships of the line?

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Trevor,

I'm OK - how are you? I hope you're OK too
happy.gif
(to quote a favorite song).
I was hoping you'd say that about your spoon
happy.gif
The info I have is from discussions with some top notch dealers and researchers. The same with the little Pre WW1 celluloid buttons. If memory serves a Lusitania survivor received a Mauretania pin on the final crossing for winning some deck game or other. And it only makes sense to offer several items from the various ship of the line for passengers. One must be careful with information though - one well known dealer states spoons like yours were part of the cutlery for the Lusi's maiden voyage! I don't think so! What is the year from the hallmarks on your spoon? Mine is from 1913.

Best,
Eric

Trevor Powell

Aug 22, 2005
Hi Eric, I'm doing well. Thanks for the clarification. My spoon is dated 1909. I too have heard that these spoons were used as cutlery on the maiden voyage (along with those beautiful Mintons plates with the illustrations of the Mauretania/Lusitania) but considering that Barbara McDermott saved one from the sinking it doesn't seem feasible!
PS- I was glad to read that your Millvina Dean signature eventually made it to you safely. I've had items lost in the mail for months on end. I once purchased one of those period WWI souvenir mother-of-pearl pins from the HMS Olympic only to have it arrive 3 months later smashed to bits (apparently having been mishandled through customs). Insurance is a must from now on!

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Trevor,

Thanks - you can imagine my relief when it turned up! Some honest postal employee took what was clearly a Titanic survivors signature on an original period photograph and repackaged it and sent it along to the return address I luckily placed on everything - with no postage due. The poor thing burst out of its mailer. Good thing it was in a hard top loader!

Best,
Eric

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
PS Trevor,

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your pin
sad.gif
I have something new from the Mauretania coming, hopefully the last scrap/relic I will buy (yeah, right), and I am a little worried about it as well. Stories like the one you just related make me nervous! It is a beautiful bit of teak railing to go along with my pitch pine decking bookends, Mg bronze bas-relief cast from her props and set into teak ash tray, brass porthole dog and mahogany Lounge molding. I'd really like a bit of that Smoking Room walnut "Dolphin" frieze though...I justify the cost of these things, in my mind, by dividing the cost all by the number of voyages she made, and then it seems very reasonable indeed! ;)

Best,
Eric

R

ronaldholt

i have the same lusitania 1909 silver spoon that i see in your picture, does anybody know of a value on this spoon?