RMS Mauretania spoon

Years ago when my Grandmother passed away i found in her things a little sterling silver spoon with an enameled picture of the MAURETANIA on it.......my granny never did any traveling.....don't know where it came from.....was these spoons sold onboard?????

Yes, they were - as souvenirs in the barber shops. Possibly later given away or inherited, of course. Pic below is a fairly standard design which I've seen with different names and pics for use by various shipping Lines, including Cunard and White Star, but this wasn't the only type available. Suppliers and their spoon designs weren't fixed, and there were also generally variations in design and quality of spoons available to different passenger classes.

133947.jpg

lol...squatty toad syndrome.......too funny...........guess my Lusitania lapel pin that shows the Lusitania with blue funnels was sold the same way?????? waits for Trevors pics of Pins.....
happy.gif

A celluloid c.1894 Cunard pin geared towards encouraging Swedish immigrants to sail on their line:

133997.jpg

The paper backing indicates that it was manufactured in Newark, New Jersey. I suspect your Lusitania celluloid pin originated from there too.

Not exactly a useful item, but like most onboard souvenirs, its main potential was to collect dust:
134001.jpg

This trinket is a souvenir miniature urn, created from copper. It's a generic example of a Pre-WWI Cunard souvenir.

"A spoon dating from early in the Lusitania's service:..."

Hi Trevor,

I have the identical sterling spoon but Mauretania dated 1913. Bear in mind your Lusitania spoon can be dated from the hallmarks, but more importantly, it may never have been aboard the Lusi in the first place. These high-end souvenirs were available on the Mauretania, Aquitania etc. For all I know, mine may have been purchased aboard the Lusitania. There is no way to tell as far as I know
sad.gif

Best wishes,
Eric

Hi Eric,
How are you doing? I have little reason to doubt the origins of the spoon as having come from the Lusitania considering I purchased it with a large lot of memorabilia from an April 1912 crossing aboard the Lusitania. The grouping came from the estate of the passengers and included onboard snapshots, stationary, a heavy crystal ashtray etched with the Cunard logo, postcards mailed during the voyage and those stevensgraph "woven-in-silk" postcards bearing images of the Lusitania.
Out of curiosity, how do we know these spoons were available on other ships of the line?