RMS Olympic Another Premature Death Article

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Yuri, Erik

From memory the White Star contribution to the fleet consisted of ten ships in 1934, but by 1935 only four remained in any real service, such as Olympic, Majestic and the two motorship sisters. Sorry I'm a bit rushed for time at the moment. Perhaps Mark Baber could help with the vessels just prior to and following the merger. He's great knowledge on the company history.

Best regards,

Mark.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
That's right, Mark, ten White Star ships became part of Cunard White Star. However, two of the ten---Albertic and Calgaric---were scrapped without ever sailing for Cunard White Star.

Five of the others were gone within two years: Adriatic II was sold for scrapping by the end of 1934; Olympic, Homeric and Doric II were scrapped in 1935; and Majestic II was taken out of service in early 1936.

Laurentic II saw no reguar service after her August 1935 collision with Napier Star, and was torpedoed and sunk while serving as an armed merchant cruiser in 1940.

Only two of the ten survived World War II: Georgic II (which was bought by the Government during the war and later chartered to Cunard for the summers of 1950-54) wasn't scrapped until 1956 and Britannic III, the last survivor, ran for Cunard until the end of 1960.

At the time of the merger, White Star's fleet also included four other ships that didn't become part of the merged line. Ionic II, Zealandic (which had been serving on the Aberdeen Line since 1926 as Mamilius) and Ceramic went to Shaw, Savill & Albion (White Star's one-time subsidiary and its partner in the New Zealand service for 50 years), together with the Australian service which White Star had operated since the turn of the century.

The final White Star ship at the time of the merger was Vedic; she was scrapped for the benefit of White Star's creditors.

Full histories of all of these ships appear on the Great Ships web site, www.greatships.net.

(Sources: Bonsor's North Atlantic Seaway; Anderson's White Star; Oldham's The Ismay Line; Haws' Merchant Fleets.)

Jan 5, 2001
Thanks very much for the information. Wasn't Calgaric the sixteen-year-old laid up at Milford Haven?

(Oh -- or I'll check the link!
wink.gif
)

Best regards,

Mark.

D

Dean Manning

Mark,

I'm slowely catching up on threads and research articles. I thought your article was fantastic!

-Dean

D

Dean Manning

Hey Yuri,

Nice to hear from you, I hope your doing well!

I've been busy with school and an internship... can't wait to get done!

take care,

-Dean