Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
The only photo I've seen taken on board Olympic during the scrapping process was one in the reciprocating engine room. There are a number taken on board after the furniture had been removed from the public rooms but before the paneling came out.

Eric Sauder

Dec 7, 2000
For all those who have access to the the 1976 Olympic Commutators, there are four photos in there of the 1st class Smoking Room paneling after the furniture had gone and only the paneling and flooring remained. As I understand (from the 2nd of the two issues) there was a photographer comissioned to photograph the ship. I assume that the smoke room photos were only 4 among possibly a fair few that were taken aboard the ship. I don't know where the photos or perhaps even the original glass negatives may be. I never made a search for them, but anyone interested, may want to try the Southshields Library (I think I got that right).

Regards,

Daniel.

B

Brian R Peterson

Jeremy,

Every interior fitting including the paneling was later removed and sold at auction from October - November of 1935

Best Regards,

Brian

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
I bet a lot of people own an Olympic fitting without knowing they own one. How could so many lots become so few now?

B

Brian R Peterson

Jeremy,

When the Olympic was scrapped most of her public room paneling was sold to private collectors or to hotels and the like, the Alnwick has her First Class Lounge paneling and some of her GSC fittings etc. A cruise ship has her First Class Restaurant paneling and so on.

As for the rest of her fittings, they have all gone to collectors or in museums I would imagine.

Best Regards,

Brian

B

Brian Hawley

Hi Daniel regarding the 1976 Olympic commutators smoking room photos. Have you seen these images? I recall you saying you don't have the issues. One photo showing the revolving door and bar pass-through is very interesting especially in light of recent events. It’s clearer and closer than the one I sent you a week or so ago.

Brian

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
>>As for the rest of her fittings, they have all gone to collectors or in museums I would imagine<<

Which museums have her panelling today?
Are there any of Olympic's remnants are available for private collectors to purchase? I would like to own one!

B

Brian R Peterson

I don't know for sure if any museums have her paneling, it was just speculations.

As for Olympic fittings in private collections, I'm sure if you looked you could find them, but you'd better be ready to shell out many thousands of dollars, as most people who own these know what they have, like the silver match holder from Olympic's First Class Smoking Room I saw on Ebay sell for nearly $3,000!

Best Regards,

Brian

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Match holder?

What about pieces of wood/ panelling?

I prefer those that really were 'part of the ship'!

As for the Ala Carte Restaurant panelling, I really like that a part of the Olympic is on the seas again!

But won't it get damaged from passengers?

B

Brian R Peterson

Jeremy,

Almost all the surviving pieces of Olympic's woodwork and paneling are installed in a private house or hotel and when they go up for auction they can sell for for as much as six figures.

As for the Ala Carte paneling, it didnt get damaged from Olympic's 24 years of passenger service, why would it get damaged now?

Best Regards,

Brian

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Actually, the "damaged" question is a fairly good one. I use Celebrity fairly exclusively, and as far as clientele go the passengers are on the genteel side NOW- but what will become of the Olympic restaurant when, as happens, the Millenium ages and slips down the food chain into "budget cruise" land? "Deferred maintainance" and hard partying passengers have the potential for doing what 24 years of First Class passengers could not.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
If passengers decided to get a piece of 'Olympic wood' for themselves, or someone decides to carve their name into it etc, then I would rather it not be installed on board.

B

Brian R Peterson

A fine point Jeff, I forget that everyone now is not as respectful of history as they ought to be...
cry.gif

Best Regards,

Brian

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
How did the Olympic panelling get into Celebrity's ownership? They bought it?

If I were them, I would barricade up the panelling like what a museum does - "see no touch"!

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Jeremy:

Here's a portion of a post I made in May of 2002.

"[The paneling] was purchased from the Nortons, a very nice older couple who lived in Southport, England. It was originally installed in their flat back in the mid-1930s by the previous owner, the Mayoress of Southport, who bought the paneling at the dispersal sale of the ship's fittings. When the Nortons purchased the flat, the provenance had changed slightly, and they were told that the woodwork was from a German battleship! Hmmm....

"Wherever it was from, the Nortons knew it was exactly what they were looking for. Only later did one of their sons find out the paneling was actually from Olympic.

Ken Marschall and I first found the Nortons and their paneling back in the late 1980s while on a research trip to England."

To add to the above: When the Nortons decided it was time to sell the paneling -- and their reasons for doing so were very valid, but are private and shouldn't be shared here -- they contacted Sotheby's in London and put it up for auction. The paneling didn't meet the reserve, but they were contacted privately by Celebrity Cruises, who made them a very reasonable offer for the woodwork. The Nortons then sold the paneling and moved to a flat more suited to their needs.

Eric Sauder

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Eric,

Do you know the exact dimensions for the panelling?

I really hope the panelling won't get too smashed up on the Millennium!

Thanks!