RMS Olympic bridge and wheelhouse interior pics

B

Brian R Peterson

Jeremy,

Almost all the surviving pieces of Olympic's woodwork and paneling are installed in a private house or hotel and when they go up for auction they can sell for for as much as six figures.

As for the Ala Carte paneling, it didnt get damaged from Olympic's 24 years of passenger service, why would it get damaged now?

Best Regards,

Brian

J

Jim Kalafus

Actually, the "damaged" question is a fairly good one. I use Celebrity fairly exclusively, and as far as clientele go the passengers are on the genteel side NOW- but what will become of the Olympic restaurant when, as happens, the Millenium ages and slips down the food chain into "budget cruise" land? "Deferred maintainance" and hard partying passengers have the potential for doing what 24 years of First Class passengers could not.

J

Jeremy Lee

If passengers decided to get a piece of 'Olympic wood' for themselves, or someone decides to carve their name into it etc, then I would rather it not be installed on board.

B

Brian R Peterson

A fine point Jeff, I forget that everyone now is not as respectful of history as they ought to be...
Cry

Best Regards,

Brian

J

Jeremy Lee

How did the Olympic panelling get into Celebrity's ownership? They bought it?

If I were them, I would barricade up the panelling like what a museum does - "see no touch"!

E

Eric Sauder

Jeremy:

Here's a portion of a post I made in May of 2002.

"[The paneling] was purchased from the Nortons, a very nice older couple who lived in Southport, England. It was originally installed in their flat back in the mid-1930s by the previous owner, the Mayoress of Southport, who bought the paneling at the dispersal sale of the ship's fittings. When the Nortons purchased the flat, the provenance had changed slightly, and they were told that the woodwork was from a German battleship! Hmmm....

"Wherever it was from, the Nortons knew it was exactly what they were looking for. Only later did one of their sons find out the paneling was actually from Olympic.

Ken Marschall and I first found the Nortons and their paneling back in the late 1980s while on a research trip to England."

To add to the above: When the Nortons decided it was time to sell the paneling -- and their reasons for doing so were very valid, but are private and shouldn't be shared here -- they contacted Sotheby's in London and put it up for auction. The paneling didn't meet the reserve, but they were contacted privately by Celebrity Cruises, who made them a very reasonable offer for the woodwork. The Nortons then sold the paneling and moved to a flat more suited to their needs.

Eric Sauder

J

Jeremy Lee

Eric,

Do you know the exact dimensions for the panelling?

I really hope the panelling won't get too smashed up on the Millennium!

Thanks!

J

Jeremy Lee

Just another question, the Olympic panelling on the Millennium is installed on what area of the ship?

Thanks.

J

Jeremy Lee

Surprise! The Olympic panelling looked brand new from the pics.

The white columns in the last picture of the 'Olympic Restaurant' - were they from the Olympic?

S

Scott R. Andrews

No, the white columns and other interior panels in that portion of the restaurant are new construction. There wasn't enough of the original panelling from the Olympic's a la carte restaurant to do any more than the one bay Celebrity panelled. They say that you'd better make a reservation ASAP when you board if you want to get a table in that portion of the restaurant.

The residence the panelling came from wasn't very large and certainly couldn't have contained all of the original restaurant panelling. God only knows if any more of that panelling survives anywhere.

Scott Andrews

J

Jeremy Lee

They should then have replicated the rest of the Olympic's Ala Carte restaurant panelling for their restaurant to match the original panelling!

B

Brian R Peterson

Jeremy,

Mahogany paneling is expensive enough as it is nowadays in small quantities, to panel an entire ship’s dining room with it floor to ceiling, and being specialty wood carving to boot with the light and dark grain wood inlays, would cost way too much to consider just for the novelty a cruise ship

Best Regards,

Brian