RMS Olympic Titanic's Sister

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

As promised, if anyone's still interested, I'm posting an update on the progress of my second major book project, RMS Olympic, Titanic's Sister. It's now available for pre-order on the amazon.co.uk website (while the first book has become available on the American amazon site, although it comes out much earlier here in the UK), and according to amazon will be published around October 2004 -- that is, significantly earlier than I had expected.

I remain extremely grateful to everyone whose kindness made the book possible. Many people have generously shared their research and I am indebted to them. Since beginning work in September 2001, the second book has taken up much of my energy and I hope that it will shed some light on Olympic's wonderful history, while providing new information. I get the impression that expectations are high and truly hope that they are met.

The link is:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/075243148X/ref=sr_aps_books_1_2/026-9167077-4270849

(I thought it best to start a seperate thread now, since I didn't want to take the 'young writers' thread too off topic.)

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Mike!

Thanks for ordering the book! You might have doubled my pre-orders!
happy.gif

As an aside, I was pleased to see the title appear on the Amazon page.

Best regards,

Mark.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm breathing a little easier this morning as I got my confirmation notice last night. I'd been wondering whether my 1-click settings would even work. With all the trouble I had with my computer last year, I wasn't confident that something hadn't been screwed up.

Think the publisher will go with that image of the Olympic in wartime camouflage for the cover?

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Mike!

I certainly hope that they will settle for the cover shown on Amazon. It looks great and I find it hard to see how they could have done it better. As you'll know, authors have less influence with regard to book design than people often believe, but I am pleased that this particular illustration was selected -- since I suggested it would be nice to have a colourful, energetic Olympic on the cover.

Best regards,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Jesse!

Thanks for ordering the book! From what I am led to believe, it will indeed be available in America. It's simply released a little later.

Best regards,

Mark.

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Mark, I will be looking forward to ordering your book !! How I envy you being so young and yet
having written two books and having them published. You have accomplished so much, I
can only see your future getting better with
time. Good luck on all of your ventures.
Sincerely, Patty

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Patty!

Thank you for your kind words, and thanks for ordering the book. I am sorry for my late reply. With regard to age, I think I was just lucky in finding a publisher -- everyone has a book in them.

I hope you enjoy the festive season!

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
As an aside, I realise that I have never actually said that the book is available! It was released on November 26th 2004, although half of the initial print run is exhausted.

Nonetheless, I will be selling some on ebay from time to time and if you'd like a copy don't hesitate to order through the 'normal channels' such as Amazon UK if you want to. Back orders are still needed to generate sufficient evidence of demand for a reprint!

Best regards,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Mike!

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for buying the book! In fact, the Olympic history is my favourite in many ways -- it also has twenty-eight colour illustrations which 'spice things up' a little bit! I am assuming it should be with you very soon indeed, especially if you ordered it from Amazon Uk earlier this year.

I understand that some extracts from this book are available in the latest issue of the THS journal, which is quite an honour, and there is also a wonderfully informative article on the recent Britannic expedition by Simon Mills.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Mike!

I ordered a copy from Amazon UK about the same time, just to see how fast it would be. That arrived last week, so as you are in America I would assume it would be with you literally any day now.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
My copies were in my PO Box today. I last checked it on 23 December, so they arrived some time since then.

Looks great, Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Mark!

Thanks for buying the book, I hope you enjoy reading it. Do let me know.

Hi Mike!

Thanks for buying it, and I hope that you, too, enjoy the book.

Best wishes and a happy 2005!

Mark.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
I received my copy at last via Amazon, and so far have read up to the end of the chapter on Olympic's war service. I must say, Mark really has done "Old Reliable" justice. The research and attention to detail which has gone into this work would drive mere mortals round the bend!

Trust me, I'm not patronising the author because I know he frequents this Board! I mean it, an excellent book, and about time that Olympic received the credit she deserves. After all, she was not only the first of her kind, but the only one of her class to succeed in the purpose for she was created. I did find it mildly amusing to see Titanic in one caption referred to as "Olympic's sister." Makes a change from the usual, doesn't it, because for once Olympic is being recognised in her own right and not as the forgotten twin (more or less) of two of the most ill-fated vessels ever to put to sea.

I look forward to reading the rest of the book, not to mention Mark's other work on the Olympic class, which is still en route from Amazon.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I agree on all points. Olympic was a very popular vessel with those who sailed on her. Her service in war had high points such as the rescue of the crew of the HMS Audacious, and the sinking of a U-boat as well as serving as a transport.

What did Titanic achieve?

Well...she sank.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Matthew!

Many thanks for buying the two books, and I am very pleased that you're enjoying the Olympic book. I really appreciate your kind words and I am pleased that you found the book informative. I hope that you enjoy the remainder of the book.

Unsurprisingly, I heartily agree that Olympic deserves more historical recognition. I'd like to think that my offering will go at least a small way towards raising interest in this ship.

Best wishes,

Mark.