RMS Olympic Titanic's Sister

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Mark, both books came to the Museum in paperback as special imports, but have been pretty much snapped up! (I just put the last two on reserve for a Board member).

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Inger!

That's really great news, I find it surprising that they sold so fast! Thanks for your own efforts to acquire them.

I hope to meet you at the BTS, if you're still planning on attending.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Hi Mark!
You're more than welcome, because I meant every word! I have just finished "Titanic's Sister", and suffice to say that the concluding chapters make me VERY cheesed off that Olympic was scrapped. So much so that it drove me to start a thread in the "Others Ships" folder asking which scrapped or sunken ship you would choose to magically replace the Queen Mary with if she vanished overnight.

Before reading your book I would have made it a straight fight between Titanic and Normandie. Now, I'd plump for Olympic!

I look forward to reading your other book, which has now arrived but which I haven't had a chance to get stuck into (apart from a quick peek at the photographs).

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Matthew, I think I may have missed that thread. Did yu start it this morning or is it already something that's there? Of any number of ships that have gone to the breakers, I can think of several of enormous historical signifigence that I wish had been saved.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Jesse,

Thanks for buying the book, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the kind words! I do think the circumstances were unfortunate -- although Olympic's 24 years in service were a long time by any standard, when we consider her sisters' demises it's sad that she did not serve a little longer. Of course, only in hindsight can we see what might have awaited her as a war career.

It's unfortunate that passenger numbers did not recover more quickly. Although Olympic's passenger numbers in early 1935 surged by some 30 percent compared to the same period in 1934, bringing her into a gross profit (but small net loss) in February 1935, had she recovered a bit more strongly I think Berengaria's future would have been brought into question sooner. I can't help thinking that the company did not quite have enough confidence in the Olympic's ability to raise her passenger carryings further, in spite of her low operating costs and undoubted good performance. As it was, the cruises scheduled for the summer of 1935 and then the round trips for the autumn and winter could well have generated a modest profit.

I appreciate your custom in buying the other book -- thanks. I hope that you enjoy it.

(As an aside, it would be interesting to see who has recently ordered copies of the Olympic class and got a reprinted version? The reprint is most easily distinguishable with the 2005 date as well as the dedication which was missing on early copies.)

For anyone interested, I should have fifty copies of each book (wishful thinking!) with me for the BTS on Saturday's sale.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Michael, I started it a few weeks ago. Some kind soul moved it into the "Queen Mary" thread on the Cunard Line section of the "Other Ships and Shipwrecks" folder. If you follow what I mean!

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Hi Mark.
I can readily accept that there were doubtless good business reasons for sending Olympic to the scrappers. Not to mention that her dismantling provided a lot of work for a great number of people at a desperate time when work was hard to come by.

Food-on-table beats sentimentality hands down any day of the week and twice on Thursdays, and nobody could have foreseen the role that she might have played in WW2 (although the storm clouds were already starting to gather over Europe when Olympic was discarded). Let's face it, despite her wonderful service, by the time of Normandie, Rex or Queen Mary she had become somewhat outdated, no matter how many times she was spruiced up and what good condition she was in.

Still, I would LOVE to trade her for the Queen Mary any time!

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Matthew,

It's certainly a key point, and I entirely agree that the advantages Olympic brought to so many unemployed workers and their families were enormous at a time when government intervention in the economy was not as developed as it would become. Sir John Jarvis really was a 'good egg.'

Best wishes,

Mark.

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Just had this for my birthday present, after finding it on the shelf in the Ian Allen shop in Cardiff.

So far, great stuff!

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Yes, so far, so very good! Nice to read some detail on Old Reliable for a change, rather than her being a small prologue/footnote to the Titanic story.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I finally bought this book... and I must say out of my entire collection of Titanic/Olympic/Britannic books, this is one has the most new information all in one place. It is nice to see photos that correctly identify the right ship (unlike the poor editing job that was done to the book "Titanic and Her Sisters".

Well worth the 34 dollars I spent. I cannot wait til I am done reading it.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Mike!

I'm very pleased that you are enjoying the book -- my thanks for your kind words.

Hi Steve!

Thanks for your very kind words, I am glad that you're liking the book!
smile.gif

Best regards,

Mark.