RMS Republic White Star Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any other curious souls or "Republic" fans out there. I've been researching this vessel since 1998, and want to know if there's anyone out there that wants to chat about her.
She was rammed by the Lloyd Italiano liner "Florida" in 1909, and sank after a long and mystifying interlude.
An interesting subject, I might say, as she was what "Titanic" should have been, but "Titanic" was what SHE could have been. (Lack of lifeboats & all.)

Best regards!
John.

Neal Ditchett

Jul 16, 2003
Hi John (and all)
Could you please confirm that this is Republic.
I recently purchased a group of photographs taken at Liverpool in 1905/1907 included in the group was this photograph and a number of on board shots of Celtic.If you want a bigger image please let me know.

Best Regards
Neal

Neal Ditchett

Jul 16, 2003
Hello again
I am having great difficulty in trying to make the image larger without going above the 20KB
Any help would be appreciated.I have seen bigger images on other topics,the image I have just posted could be anything !

Regards
Neal

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Hi Neal,

It definitely looks like the "Republic". (4 masts, 1 stack, and the superstructure appears to be the right configuration.) Also, she was on the Liverpool run back in that time period. Can't tell 100% for sure without a closer look, but I'd guess that it's her.

Have trouble attaching jpegs myself.

If you'd like, you could email a larger one to my personal email address, and I can have a look at that.
Best regards!
John.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
The collision with Florida occurred a little after 5:30 a.m. on 23 January 1909 and Republic sank at about 8:40 p.m. the next day. Source: The New York Times, 24 and 25 January 1909.

Status
Not open for further replies.