RMS Titanic Inc returning to wrecksite but how will they acquire artifacts

Feb 14, 2011
I understand that RMS Titanic Inc will be returning to Titanic this year to recover some artifacts- I'm curious- how will this happen?

They will not have access to the Keldysh or Mir subs...Will they use a scoop, or unmanned rovs to pluck artifacts? Curious how they have burned bridges with every conservation and exploration company they have worked with...
Was there recently some merger between RMS Titanic Inc and the 'Titanic-Ship Of Dreams exhibits'? One friend told me it was in fact 'Ship Of dreams' that was going to recover artifacts for thier exhibits- but as RMS Titanic Inc retains the title of salvor in possesion, I cant see how any other entity would be allowed to recovcer anything..
regards

Tarn stephanos

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
You got me, Tarn. Perhaps Bill Willard can speak to that if he knows anything and it free to discuss the matter. (For some legal reasons, he might not be, so I won't make any assumptions.) There aren't a lot of submersibles in the world capable of diving down that deep. I can count them on both hands with fingers to spare, and I know of at least one about the be decommissioned if it hasn't been removed from service already.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
You can contact Michael Harris to find out. He's here in Orlando at the Titanic museum. He had invited me to come along - for a mere $25,000. LOL I have to think about it - Titanic or Europe - Titanic or Europe. Hmmmm.

Kyrila

Feb 14, 2011
Then it must be Ship Of Dreams thats recovering Titanic artifacts this summer.......
Man, am I out of the loop- In my Titanic exhibit days I knew the lowdown on everything that was going down, but since i quit, I'm now im the last person to find about these things...
Last time I checked Ship Of Dreams and RMS Titanic Inc were seperate entities..did they merge?
I thought Ship Of Dreams had objects that were on loan from private collectors, but nothing from the wreck.

How will they recover artifacts?

Last I heard RMS Titanic Inc had no conservation facility- just a storage facility in Atlanta to store any artifacts not on tour.
Does Ship of Dreams have a conservation facility to treat their Titanic artifacts?

You can see Europe anytime- if given the chance, dive Titanic..

Feb 14, 2011
Michael, which submersible is about to be decomissioned? Is it the Alvin?
I heard one of the MIR subs had a total overhaul.

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Tarn, contact me privately and I'll fill you in. I don't think I should say anything on a public forum. Not that there's anything bad about it, but some information just isn't necessary for public consumption.

Kyrila

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
RSMT isn't going Tarn.

Harris and Ship of Dreams has planned a trip, but as of my last word, nothing is firm.

Harris cannot recover artifacts. RMST and Ship of Dreams are not working together. As a matter of fact, Kyrila is very correct, it doesn't need to be aired on a public forum all the complexities of what is going on.

RMST has serious other issues, which I am not at liberty to discuss, that are not financial in nature, but deals with other issues. The company will issue a statement soon, as soon as those issues can be addressed appropriately. But I am confident in saying this main issue is not a money problem.

Kyrila, we missed you at SoD two weeks ago... I asked Michael about you.

Bill

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Bill!
Well, I'm wary about the recovery of any more artifacts until RMS Titanic inc can get a proper conservation facility. A warehose in Atlanta just doesnt cut it....

Perhaps Ship Of Dream's expedition was intended as a hands off exploartion?
Could they be competitng with Deep ocean Expeditions in bringing along paying members of the public?
A big problem with RMS Titanic- and perhaps this was SFX's doing- is that there are too many exhibits going on at once- the artifacts are spread out too thin, and the Titanic Artifact exhibit is now a commonplace thing..Plus the idea of having the floor staff in costume is very tacky, to put it mildly...
Thats all for now..
regards

Tarn Stephanos

Nov 26, 2005
I know it was said that it's not for public consumption, but I was wondering just what is going on with RMS Titanic Inc.? What is it exactly that they do now? I haven't really kept up with RMS Titanic Inc. due to being kinda angry at them for some things that I understand they tried to do to the Titanic. i.e. attempting to RIP the helm off of the bridge. That's just ridiculous. And I said this before and got in trouble, but ACCORDING TO BALLARD, RMS Titanic Inc. is more than likely responsible for the serious collapse of the mast, trying to get at that light. That's what Ballard says, and personally I believe him more than I would most people when it comes to Titanic. The crows nest I stand corrected on as it fell down into the cargo hold most likely I think is what Mr. Parks said. Due to rotting and just age and time. Not sure so don't quote me. That's what kinda got me upset with Rms Titanic inc. I just think they really should have left SOME things alone until the right time and not go trying to actually rip things from the structure. Probably won't be long and they'll fall off by themselves.
happy.gif
I hope I haven't made anybody mad again with some things I say about RMS Titanic Inc. in my post. I can't emphasize enough...it's just my opinion. I'm not stating anything as fact. I'm just trying to learn like the rest of you. But please, could someone fill me in on RMS Titanic Inc.?? I'm really interested now to find out what all's going on with it. I'm a trustworthy guy and don't have a big mouth on me with certain information so don't let that give anyone any doubts. I can keep a secret with the best of them! You all have a wonderful evening and I hope to hear from somebody soon on this, if they can tell me anything.
happy.gif
Thanks again!

Matt.

M

Matt Pereira

Well i cant tell you bout RMS Titanic Inc. but i can tell you i dont like them. i mean they used to have a website selling stuff now they dont? well i guess public didnt buy enough and thats why. But i will say RMS Titanic Inc should be doing what cameron is and explore more than ripping stuff off the ship. I read on the titanic wreck model site that supposedly they cut cables to try and find titanic`s name plates, but from what i researched the name was stamped in the steel then painted so you wouldnt be able to see much of it with the rust. But i dont understand why dont they just wait for the stuff to take its natural course and falls. like with the telemotor i havent heard that one bout them wanting to retreive it, but if they give it enough time. those bolts holding it to the floor will give way and it will fall over, either that or the whole deck caves in and it falls into the interior of the ship but either way leave things alone and explore is what i would like to see shes too far gone to go plucking things off her without having some major effect on the rate of deterioration.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I read on the titanic wreck model site that supposedly they cut cables to try and find titanic`s name plates, <<

This rumour has been running around for years, mostly thanks to RMSTI's critics. Beware the pitfalls of second and third hand anecdotal evidence and the repetative claims of parties with an agenda. You seldom get the whole story, and some don't mind making things up whole cloth to champion "The Cause." I won't say as a conclusive fact that it didn't happen, but I'd like to see some first hand evidence from reliable sources that it did.

Participants in this discussion may wish to click on The RMS Titanic Incorperated Website to see what they're all about from their point of view.

J

Jeffrey Word

Matt and Mike,

About the telemotor. I've heard something about this as I'm sure anyone who has seen Ballard's latest 'Return To Titanic' thing has. He said that they, (well someone...not necessarily RMST Inc.), did in fact attempt to rip the telemotor off the bridge. I paused the dvd where this is said and I can see some damage at the base that could lead one to believe that the attempt had been made. But now with what everyone's been saying about Dr. Ballard I'm wondering if I'm under the wrong impression about him and what he said in that last documentary. I believed it when he said that more than likely RMST Inc. was responsible for the collapse of the mast *before this last collapse around the time Cameron was there.* Was Ballard lying? If so, why? It seemed to me that all he wants to do is defend the wreck itself, which I agree with. As do many on here I've seen. What did I miss? I know I missed something because everyone else isn't too happy with Dr. Ballard and I haven't seen or heard of him doing anything that is really wrong. If he lied or stretched the truth about some things, someone please tell me more about it. I'm kind of at the point that I don't know WHAT to believe. The person with the most trust IMO is Cameron. I was a kid when the Titanic was found and always kind of regarded Dr. Ballard as a hero because he was the guy that found it. That makes an impact on a kid. If there's more to know, I'd absolutely love to know it!
happy.gif
The mystery itself is intriguing.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Was Ballard lying? If so, why?<<

a false dichotomy here. I don't think Dr. Ballard was lying. I think he was jumping to conclusions, and that's not lying. It's an opinion honestly held, and honestly expressed, but which may just happen to be wrong. That's all.

RMSTI appears to be everybody's whipping boy of choice whether it's deserved or not. All I'm asking for is not a repetition of the same old rumours and mudslinging which has been circulating for years and which has often been uncritically confused for an established fact. What I'm asking for is credible first hand evidence to back up the accusation.

J

Jeffrey Word

>>What I'm asking for is credible first hand evidence to back up the accusation.<<

That's very understandable Mike and very well thought out and put. I've made my share of accusations against RMST Inc. also with really no evidence.

So that's why everyone seems so mad at Ballard? Because he publically made these allegations against RMST Inc w/o having any proof? I can understand that maybe causing a second glance, but I don't know why that's caused the uproar it has on some of these threads. It just seems like everyone turned against Dr. Ballard after this last expedition. Just wondering was all. Thanks Mike!

jeff.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>So that's why everyone seems so mad at Ballard?<<

All I can say is that if you read some of the posts here on ET, you'll get a sense of it. The comments made in my opinion, speak for themselves. While I don't agree with Dr. Ballard on some of his views and actions, neither do I agree with all of the Ballard-Bashing that goes on. Any judgements that are mine to make I'll make based on the merits or lack thereof in the matter being debated. I'll conceed in fairness that some of the crticisms leveled at the man have merit, but that doesn't mean he's the evil Fu-Manchu, nor does it take away from his considerable achievements. All it means is that he has feet of clay like the rest of us.

>>Because he publically made these allegations against RMST Inc w/o having any proof?<<

Mmmmmmm...considering that RMSTI is another body that people love to hate, I don't think anybody much cares if Dr. Ballard bashes them.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
You couldn't have said it better, Michael.

There are all kinds of splits within the Titanic community and who knows why? This club against that club, this exhibit against that exhibit, this expedition against that one, this website against another. Such behaviour is senseless and childish. Instead of rehashing the negative, why not explore the positive - the discoveries and historical achievements? You know what I always say - we're here to HONOR the memory of Titanic and her passengers and crew, and we DISHONOR them with our petty jealousies and egos.

Kyrila
(always trying to keep the peace)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>You know what I always say - we're here to HONOR the memory of Titanic and her passengers and crew, and we DISHONOR them with our petty jealousies and egos.<<

You're absolutely right.

At least I thought that was the idea. Unfortunately, it's also a part of human nature for humans to be a fractious and fiesty bunch given to rivalries that turn nasty, envy, selfishness and status seeking. You see it in everything from competitions over who has the most posts on a given forum to cut throat intrigues even among top researchers.

Wish I could say otherwise.

What appears to get missed is it's not us who are the ones who are important but the people who got caught up in the tragedy of April 14 to 15th 1912.