RMS TItanic Inc Seeks Permission To Sell Artifacts

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
Kyrila,

I agree with Michael. The appellate court analyzes what Judge Clarke has said versus the law.

I have no idea what direction this will take until I analyze the briefs (boy that sounded strange!) filed in December. I have been told an amicus briefing is due very shortly, and that may be one of our side stepping in.

With fingers crossed,

Bill

Mark Taylor

Mar 18, 2005
>The problem here is that courts have to make their decisions based on what the law itself says regardless of whether or not it's popular. <

This is true. And it should be pointed out that this appeals court has upheld the salvage award but did reverse two of his findings. Originally Clarke gave RMSTI control over the images as well as a navigation exclusion zone. But the company that does the tourist dives challenged and won so you can now dive and take pictures of the wreck without their permission (but you cannot take anything from the wreck). All you need is around $35,000 + and calm seas. :)

Mark Taylor
titanicnewschannel.com

May 8, 2001
Hello again Bill. I believe that what is going on now is the exact reason why so many people were against salvage in the first place.
I recently purchased a video called "Explorers of the Titanic" in which George Tulloch has much of the speaking parts. It has a more personal feel to it, and really for the first time I felt I understood this man's mission. There are several parts in particular where
1. they are looking over the dives film footage, and they come across a beautiful lead glass window, and you can see his face light up and the kid like excitement when he says, "it's so beautiful, people are going to love this".
2. He goes on a dive, and starts talking about the items he recovered and says "The people, you know will love seeing this on exhibition."
3. How choked up and speechless he became when they recovered binoculars.
4. The hugs and smiles when they recover a 3 ton ballard and he says "When they get to touch this, they know will be touching Titanic"

Anyhow, I do hope this turns out for the best. I would like to see Tulloch back, caring for this again.

Merry Christmas to you as well! Colleen

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Colleen!

>4. The hugs and smiles when they recover a 3 ton ballard ....

Has Ballard really put on that much weight? (Pat Cook maybe, but Ballard?) :)

All my best,

George

May 8, 2001
I did spell that wrong huh..... I've just enrolled in the "David G. Brown landlubber ABC nautical spelling course" and am anxiously awaiting the second book to be sent to me.
(Hey David, can we skip over to book 12 so I can find out where they came up with the term "landlubber"? I am an impatient student...)
smile.gif

P.S. George. They don't call him COOK for nothin'. Betcha he can put on a big ole Texas BBQ as well as the next man! He originated the idea for the campfire scene in "Blazing Saddles"... You didn't know that? That was his thirty seconds of fame.... Kinda makes you want to treat him with a little more respect huh??? But, don't ask him about it... I fear he likes to relive his fame when reminded...
laughing too!!!
proud.gif
Colleen

Dec 4, 2000
Lubber -- nautical for someone of dubious value, especially at sea. A "lubber" is one step above a "sojer" (often misspelled "soldier" by prissy copy editors).

A "lubber line," however is a critical part of the mariner's most important instrument--the magnetic compass. It is the line used to read the ship's heading.

Now, for a fine meal of lobscouse and crackerhash before I have to polish Charlie Noble.

-- David G. Brown

May 8, 2001
SSSOOOOO..... I just insulted myself...
Well, I really had to search this one... So, an hour later, and peals of laughter, I am back bellowing the tune "Leave her Jonny". Tonight, my kids demanded their whack of Dandyfunk and Dogsbody. Tomorrow they will get Burgoo.

Thank you, I promise you weren't Whistling Psalms to the Taffrail:
proud.gif

Colleen

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
I too have the 'Explorers...' video, and have to say that I took Tulloch completely the other way-he was sounding to me like a greedy salesman who had just got in some really juicy stock to sell 'the people'. Although dear George has received a LOT of unfounded criticism, and now in the light of Arnie Gellar he looks positively saintly, he did speak an awful lot of rubbish about Titanic-his coal explosion theory on this very video being a good example.

Jan 29, 2001
Hello:

Interesting as it is, the folks who were bashing Tulloch when he opted to sell pieces of the salvaged coal, must have been entirely unbeknowst to this "more intimate" portrait of Mr. Tulloch.

Yes indeed the "Explorers of the Titanic" video which, at an additional $10.00 (And well worth it) acompanied early purchases of the coal. In fact there is brief footage of the coal salvage. Matt Tulloch can be seen handling a very large piece of coal in the video. My curiosity beckoned as to the weight of such a piece. In a letter response Matthew told me the heaviest piece he handled was 75 lbs!

For those who have not seen the video. Mr. Tulloch was quick to take up defense of character for Captain Lord as well as Smith. All the while he was being slandered a "graverobber".

Michael Cundiff
Carson City, NV

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Quoted from the link Mark Taylor posted Friday, December 7, 2001 - 03:57 am

<<Until now, R.M.S. Titanic has not sold anything it has raised from the great luxury liner except for thousands of lumps of coal found on the ocean floor. They spilled from the ship as it sank. The company said it wants to sell more than 1,000 small, unidentifiable pieces of the Titanic to collectors. It also wants to sell an entire traveling exhibit of about 300 artifacts to an Irish museum. The remaining artifacts would be sold to a non-profit foundation created by the company's president, Arnie Geller of Atlanta.>>

The article doesn't state to whom/what they sold the coal pieces to, but my guess would be they were sold to museums and the like. I guess there's nothing wrong with selling the pieces to museums, except for the fact of what did they do with the profits.

Also, if the remaining artifacts are sold to Geller's non-profit org, than it appears that the artifacts would still be in the hands of Geller, only in a different organization. Don't know Geller, but what is he, a self made millionare to be able to buy his own artifacts. It will be interesting to see what he states in court of his plans are for the artifacts with his non-profit organization. I have not read what his plans are for the artifacts on the site. One small point in reference here. I am reading that Geller/RMST only wants to sell SOME of the artifacts and ONE traveling exhibit, not the rights to salvage any future artifacts. If I am wrong please post correction.

And anyways what "material possession" does RMST have over the wreck. That's a good question.

Teri

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Hi Teri!

"The article doesn't state to whom/what they sold the coal pieces to, but my guess would be they were sold to museums and the like."

The pieces of coal have been sold for quite a while now. They are sold for between $10-$30 (depending on where you get them from) to regular everyday people. I have 3! The lumps are nothing huge, they average between dime and nickel size. They're on Ebay all the time.

Didn't you know?

David

May 8, 2001
Mike Herbold brought a piece to our little Queen Mart get together. I was jealous because my piece at home was smaller!
smile.gif

Colleen

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Hello David,

Yes, I know they're on sale on eBay because I've seen them, but I never paid attention to who was selling them, I just assumed they were being sold by other people, not by RMST. Did you buy yours directly from RMST?

Teri