RMS Titanic Inc

T

TRent

Hey ,
Did anyone else see the R.M.S. Titanic Inc is getting sued for canceling showing its exhibit in Maryland??? Well has anyone seen the exhibit cause i am planing to head to Chicago to go see it soon. Can anyone tell be more about like little stuff ...like if you can take pictures???

thanks Trent

R

Rene Rains

I saw the RMS Titanic exhibit when it came to The Pyramid at Memphis. No cameras were allowed there. In fact, they had a security desk set up where they allowed you to check-in your camera so you didn't have to take it back to your car. We first saw a short film about the Titanic. They had little Walkman cassette players with headphones and you walked thru the exhibit and listened to the tape as you went along. I liked that idea, because you could stop and tape and linger longer at certain exhibits if you chose. One part I particularly liked (and I don't mean to spoil it for anyone) was they had a deck railing set up and you stood there and looked and they had the placement of the stars set up like they were the night of April 14, 1912. It was beautiful. The only complaint I heard from others there was that they didn't have very many artifacts. That's true, but they made up for it in their mock sets. It's been about 3(?) years since the exhibit was in Memphis. Since then, I know they've recovered a lot more items from the ocean. Maybe what you see now is a lot more than what I saw. As for gift shop stuff...the t-shirts were not outrageously priced. I paid about $25 for mine. And I bought the coal. It cost me $30 with the case. They also had lots and lots of books so any of you who have trouble locating Titanic Triumph and Tragedy will probably find it there. I also purchased a video tape of the exhibition since we couldn't take pictures. I don't remember how much it was, but it must have been fairly cheap otherwise I could not have afforded it...and I knew I was not leaving that place without the coal! Buying your souvenirs after you view the exhibit is a plus so you don't have to carry them with you. At the snack bar, there was one paper placemat left. It said "Titanic the exhibition" and had the ship alongside the iceberg. My husband rolled it up and handed it to me. I had it professionally matted and framed in an ornate wood frame that looks like it could have been on the Titanic. It looks pretty good hanging in the bedroom near my print of Rockwell's Outward Bound (let's not discuss the Godzilla poster!). They also had the Titanic's whistle. It was mounted on a pole (not in glass) and I could ALMOST touch it. It was neat to see that because later I was on the internet live the day they blew the Titanic whistle. When you go see the exhibition, don't wait until late in the day -- go about 3 hrs before it ends and be prepared to stand in line -- because you really need to take your time and linger and looked at every single item. They don't let one group in and then run them out for another group...they just let "x" amount of people in every 15 minutes or so, so you're not run out at a certain time. And don't miss the documentary pictures hanging on the wall. They're not artifacts, but they're informative. Lastly, if you live near the exhibition site (I drove 4 hrs), you should be able to get to the gift shop without having to buy another ticket, so you can purchase more souvenirs later if desired.

Apr 14, 2001
trent i went to chicago before the exhibit came but i saw egg plates and a part of one of the engines they were restoring it and based on what i read about it it looks like a good one on the ticket you will recive,there will be a name of a person on the ticket that person was actualy on the ship ,and while youre there, you will see a big board full of names of the people who were on there and the name of the person on the ticket either died or survived the sinking and i know this, because i saw the exhibit in las vegas even though there wasnt a whole lot of artifacts to see, it was good to see what some of the major rooms on the ship looked like, including the grand staircase i hope you will see the exhibition and hope you enjoy it jennifer mueller

joshua

Jul 23, 2010
The ship should be left alone and artfacts returned to the bottom of the ocean whrere titanic lays. That company is destroying a tomb for 1500 people. It is not right.

T

Theodore Moraitis

Dear Joshua,
What about the archeologists who "destroyed" thousands of tombs and brought up to surface statues, mummies,tools, artifacts and other items, all of which have tought us, step by step, the development of mankind's history ?
Should we return them all back to where they belonged ?
Titanic's story holds number 17 or 18 (if I am correct)in the list of the 100 most important events of the just passed century.
Titanic's story is so closely connected with man's effort to expand his knowledge over the nature, to study and achieve new inventions, to find new products and methods all of which resulted to the "industry revolution" in the early years of 1900.
Titanic itself is History and History, as you surely know, is Science, so we all must study and SEE in order to learn.
Certainly, Titanic should always remain in piece, being the grave of so many people but, in my opinion, some artifacts from the debrie's field which, no doubt were going to deteriotate and disappear for ever, must be saved, preserved and desplayed to us and to our children solely for the reasons explained above.
Kind regards
Theodore Moraitis

E

Elaine Barnes

Hi Theodore,
You make a good point about mummies and such being brought to the surface and further damaged. Unfortunately, people have a different view of disturbing people who had died and were mummified than people who were suddenly drowned or frozen from a huge ship dropping out from under them.I think the early 1900's were pretty much documented without having to cut into Titanic and retrieve artifacts to see how people lived.
As to the "debrie field", I believe it has already been picked clean of everythig that could be easily picked up.
Sincerely,
Elaine Barnes

T

Theodore Moraitis

Hi Elaine,
It seems we have quite different opinion for the matter in question.
For me, it's very important to communicate with people who, may prove to me that my opinion could be wrong, so if you like to discuss matter in depth please email me at : [email protected] if it is feasible for you.
Thank you vm for your above comments
Theodore Moraitis