RMSTI Artifacts per AOL pg

Jan 29, 2001
My dear Mother just telephoned to share some information she has printed for me via AOL.
In regards to the future of the artifacts, she informed me that some photos are attatched to the article. So I guess I will wait to Thursday 26 March to enjoy the article, in order to honor my Mother's wishes.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
No need to wait until the 26th. USAToday has the story:

Federal judge to rule on fate of Titanic artifacts
quote:

NORFOLK, Va. (AP) – Nearly a century after the Titanic struck ice in the North Atlantic, a federal judge in Virginia is poised to preserve the largest collection of artifacts from the opulent oceanliner and protect the ship's resting place.
Full story at http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-03-24-titanic-artifacts_N.htm

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
What's not mentioned above is that Judge Smith reportedly heard testimony from E. J. Smith, who's been living in Norway since being discovered in a lifeboat near Iceland in 1991. Look here for more details and a link to coverage of the discovery of Capt. Smith almost 18 years ago.

Jan 29, 2001
For myself, as a young adult in 1973 I became fascinated with Bruce Lee upon viewing "Enter the Dragon", then went on to study Martial Arts for nearly two decades. I should never forget the WWN reporting Bruce Lee is still alive and living in China. Sure, I am certain that there are many look alikes...but I'll put my money on the Doctor(s) conclusion upon the completion of seven autopsies...edema.

...and what would the late George Tulloch think of all this...what indeed?

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Mark,

well, at least this "lifeboat" made some attempt to follow the currents of reality and did not strike out for Halifax alone, against the current, like some character in a Disney film...like a certain life ring from a while back. I never actually looked at any site like the one you linked too - good grief!

Best,
Eric

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
The Weekly World News was once a "newspaper," and is now a web site, and in both incarnations has published Titanic-related articles not found elsewhere. Look here for other examples.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
WWN got its start when the Enquirer went upscale. Back in the day, the National Enquirer was printed on cheap newsprint the way WWN was, and looked a lot like it in terms of layout. Back then, it was quite a horrific read. Want to disprove the story of Jayne Mansfield being decapitated in the car accident? The old Enquirer paid someone and, voila, was able to run a police photo of what she looked like after hitting a windshield and roof-column at 80MPH. Quite depressing to see, but definitely not decapitated. They LOVED stuff like that, and ran the most lurid crime scene or accident photos they could find.

Then, around 1970, the Enquirer wanted to expand its circulation. In order to get into supermarkets (It was formerly sold only at news stands of the sleazier sort) things like photos of Miss Mansfield's massive cranial damage had to go. Gossip and UFOs were brought in, gore and sex were eliminated,and a better grade of paper was run thru a better set of presses. WWN stepped in, used the old mega-cheap look, but did not go with violent death at its heart and, instead, opted to out "New age" the other tabloids.