RMSTI mosaic of the Titanic wreck

Jan 7, 2002
Remember the Paul Mathias compiled mosaic poster of the wreck? Is that still available? Though innacurate, compared to the mosaic in the Ballard book, its still worth having. Odd that they no longer sell the mosaic at the exhibits...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jan 31, 2001
It was available in the Merchandise section of www titanic-online com, but their store is offline at the moment.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Jan 7, 2002
Unfortunate that Ballard did not make available posters of his bow section mosaic for sale. I understand a stern section mosaic was assembled from the Ballard dives- I do wonder how they came out?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
It's amazing the difference in clarity on the two mosaics-the Ballard one is so much sharper, even though it's monochrome! The RMST one is just a brown smudge in comparison.

Bill Sauder

Nov 14, 2000
If you are referring to the Bow look-down mosaic in Ballard's "Exploring the Titanic," that was done by Ken Marschall using B&W Angus stills.

Originally, the mosaic was going to be done in-house by Madison Press, but they were pretty clueless and were making a mess of it, so Ken stepped in.

The mosaic you see was made in the mid 1980s using film images that Ken individually adjusted for scale in a dark room and printed on photographic paper. In a few spots, there was no data and Ken discreetly duplicated some images and inserted them to keep "Bald spots" from showing up.

So far as I know, Ken never did a stern mosaic. Woods Hole was not as cooperative as they could have been and much of the photographic reference Ken got was not really selected ... you get the feeling it was just the stuff on the top of the pile and easy to get to.

Bill Sauder

Jan 7, 2002
Thanks for the info Bill.

Ken did one hell of a job- Its hard to see any spots missed. Only missing area seems to be the broken davit near the gymnasium. Much better than the RMSTI mosaic, which missed ALL of the collapsed aft end of the bow section...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jan 7, 2002
Anyone by chance have an extra mosaic they can spare? Much to my regret, i never bought one. In exchange I'll give you my gratitude and a lifetime supply of nail clippings...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 10, 1999
Hello:

I shall never forget the impact on my emotions when I first viewed the stern mosaic. It was compliments of the Discovery Channel before it became an integral piece to my collection of TITANIC after 1985.

I was blessed with the kindness of Matthew Tulloch in that he had his father George sign one for me.

Michael Cundiff
U.S.A.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I want/will try my hand at it. Just need to know where to start. I'm pretty ok with computers, and rearranging stuff. I have a the images I need. If y'all help, I can try and report here on my progress/final product