RMSTI to Relinquish or not Salvage Rights

Connie Hedges

Apr 14, 2002
That's ok Erik. Confusion is my middle name.
Did anyone notice the title at the top of this page under the one with the paper clip? :
RMS Titanic Inc to give up SAVAGE rights?
I know we all know it was a typo and should be SALVAGE but the more I think about it, the more I think SAVAGE rights may be right after all. It gave me a grin anyway.

Mark Taylor

Feb 20, 2001
ªZ4«½ mistake is on me. Perhaps it was the lack of tea in my brain. Or perhaps a Freudian slip? :) Either way RMS Titanic Inc (aka RMS Junk-it) is getting out of the Titanic salvage business. What is probably next after filing the paper to surrender their salvage rights will be the actual salvage award. Now that will be interesting to watch.

Mark Taylor
titanicnewschannel.com

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Wish I could answer that Tarn, but I have a nasty hunch that when we get the answer, we won't like it.
smoke.gif

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Obviously, someone else will at some point go out there to claim the wreck for themselves-involving raising a vast amount of money to hire the relevant personnel, ship, sub etc etc. Get yourself down there, pick something up, make sure it's recognised by law that you now have the 'savage' rights. The big question is WHO will these people be, and how good will their intentions be? This could be the saving of the last of Titanic's mortal remains, or it could be the beginning of the real end.

Wonder if anyone could twist Ballard or Cameron's arms into getting a claim on her, and then leaving her be?

One other thought-RMS Tit.Inc. are giving uptheir salvage rights to the Titanic-what about their rights to the Carpathia?

And all this isn't even touching on what happens to the thousands of items they've picked up already...and left in boxes in France ever since.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Considering RMSTI's financial troubles, it would be very interesting to see if they follow through on their stated intention to do anything with the Carpathia. For some really strange reason (Can't for the life of me figure out what it is.) when you're broke and have a history of alienating the people who have the equipment you need to do the job, people just don't want to make a deal with you.

Jan 7, 2002
I suspect the tourist dives will continue..Thats one thing im totally in favor of- if the public can visit the wreck, pay respects then leave,
akin to visiting the Arizona memorial, looking into the water to see the wreck, paying respects, etc, thats fine with me.
Tarn

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
I just read in the local paper yesterday (10-6-2002) that RMST Inc. has indeed given up their salvage rights and will no longer conduct expeditions.

Mark Taylor

Feb 20, 2001
This just in to the news desk of Titanic News Channel:

This is a TNC News Alert....

The Supreme Court declines to review Titanic artifact sales. The company had appealed a decision concerning artifact sales to the high court. Both the lower court and appeals court had denied the company's argument that they owned the artifacts from the sunken liner. However in a recent filing the company announced it was relinquishing its salvage rights to the wreck.

Mark Taylor
titanicnewschannel.com

Mark Taylor

Feb 20, 2001
"I wish I could have been the fly on the wall at RMSTI when this came down. Thanks for posting this Mark."

I suspect they knew the 9 supreme robes probably would not hear the appeal. There next step is to file the legal papers that gives up the salvage claim with the court. I understand some irate shareholders plan to try to stop them from doing this (it was not clear to me how they would do so.)

Then a real salvage hearing would begin that would determine the value of the artifacts, their disposition, and compensation to RMS Titanic from their eventual sale. But who knows? Many things may happen along this path!

Jan 7, 2002
and on Ebay a passage to visit Titanic wreck via the Mir is being sold..
Seems the tourists dives will continue depite RMSTI's self destruction.
Methinks ill need to save my pennies!

tarn Stephanos

Jan 7, 2002
Truth be told, i suspect in the next 20 years deep sea tourists dives will be commonplace- expect tourist dives to titanic, Bismark and other deep sea wrecks and geological sites.

Tarn Stephanos

Jan 7, 2002
seems the tables may soon turn...i will break out the bubbly when that scaliwag is ousted and thrown in jail......

Tarn Stephanos

Mark Taylor

Feb 20, 2001
One should be careful about reading too much into the news story. The SEC cannot, as I understand it, undo the takeover on its own authority and a court would have to do that in the end. But they can find it was done improperly and decide what damages can be levied or if legal charges sould be filed. There is a hearing on Friday so it will be interesting to see what will transpire.

To Shelley:

I warn you against posting entire news articles without the express permission of the copyright holder. You reprinted the entire news article right off their web page. Word to the wise: just quote a few lines and direct people to the url. News organizations, like record companies, are vigillant about protecting their copyrights. :)

Aug 29, 2000
Mark- I had actually called the Pilot and spoken to two gals in the reprint department who assured me it would be alright if I posted it exactly as written. The head honcho is away for a week so it would seem, but I eventually got hold of a bigger fish who sighed a bit and finally said HE would rather I just gave the link- SO the above will go to the Recycle Bin I expect. So, lesson to be learned - ask several "in charge"- anyway, the author of the article can be contacted by the email link above.
http://www.pilotonline.com/business/bz1204tit.html
Yes, we all know the pitfalls and perils of copyright infringements!