RN Williams cabin #

Oct 20, 2009
Ok I am new to the site and I have difficulty in finding old thread info. I am trying to find if I can track down my grandfathers cabin number with some accuracy. It appears he was on D deck. He thought it was on C.

I will paraphrase him:
His says his cabin was on the port side, since he said they had the sun nearly all day. It was about mid ships, fairly large bunks on either side of the door, "you entered from the corridor with small L at the end of which was a large port hole."

I looked at Titanic deck plans on line and now I cant find them, but I do not believe cabin D-14 was L shaped nor was it on the port side about mid ships. Now I could be wrong because I cant find the infernal web site now. It could be either D34, D26, D18 or D 10.

Now this fact may help locate his stateroom.
Just outside their stateroom door a steward was trying to open a jarred stateroom door and my grandfather put his shoulder to it and broke it down and was chastised by the steward and told he would be reported for breaking company property.

Are there any accounts of anyone witnessing this scene?

Thanks for help in advance

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Hello Mr. Williams,
Actually Elizabeth Eustis witnessed it and reported this back to her sister. This account is detailed in the Michael Davies Titanic book.
Mrs. Stephenson and Miss Eustis were in D-20
and I have a feeling they knew your grandfather, not only through their friends, the Thayers, but also because the Williams had their cabin in that same hallway.
Go here to look at the D deck plans
https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/deckplans/deckplan_d.shtml

Best wishes
Mike

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Quincy,

There are [un-numbered] deck plans on this web-site. D-14 was both L shaped and on the port-side. The port-side rooms D-10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30 and 34 were all L shaped. - See the attached.

Looking at the Cave List:
Thomas Franklin D-34/3; The Messrs White D-26; Mr Greenfield D-10. With the Marvins listed for D-30 and John Borebank for D-22/1 we are limited to either D-14 or D-18 as the room occupied by your grandfather.

On page 58 of: The Titanic The Full Story of a Tragedy, Michael Davie quotes from an account written by Martha Stephenson. She states that her sister saw the incident involving your grandfather and the stateroom door that he put put his shoulder to.

<table border=1>[tr][td]
attachment_icon.gif
D-deck port-side
D-deck port-side.bmp (8.2 k)[/td][/tr][/table]​

Oct 20, 2009
Lester and Michael: Thank you very much for your help in helping me narrow it down to what appears to be two cabins. Interestingly enough I do have the Michael Davies book but have not read it since it came out years ago. I do not recall MIss Eustis account of my grandfather and the door at all being mentioned in that book.

Thanks again guys. If you or anyone on this site has any questions about my grandfather let me know I will try to answer them.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Dear Qunicy and all,

I am similarly of opinion that the Williams men were shipboard occupants of either D-14 or D-18.

Having thus narrowed down the list of cabin possibilities, could we not apply the same deductive reasoning to establish a list of candidates for the "trapped man" whom the younger Williams' rescued by "destroying company property"?

Best Regards,
Ben

Oct 20, 2009
I just realized that his cabin is not far from the the forward grand staircase and probably easily accesible by ROV. Just thinking out loud.

Dec 6, 2000
Evening Ben,

I'm guessing one of the 6 inside single-berth rooms.
Isaac Frauenthal was in D-40; Anderson in D-46; Newell in D-48; Sutton in D-50.
Since D-44 is listed for the Widener's it may be that Edwin Keeping was in D-44.
There is no known occupant for D-42.

Hope you are keeping well.
Regards,
Lester

Sep 1, 2004
In the Cave list are mistakes. Countess of Rothes is there listed as occupant of B-37 I think but she was in B-77, was not she?

Dec 6, 2000
In the Cave List the Countess of Rothes is listed as C-37, but she was most likely in C-77. - That may well have been an upgrade after she boarded. - There are posts on why B-77 is unlikely.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Lester,

My appreciative thanks for the information, and my apologies for the belated response.

I'm inclined to believe that, had Isaac Frauenthal been the trapped passenger, he would surely have mentioned the incident in a subsequent account. The same may be said of the Newell sisters in reference to their father, although this is dependant upon the time of the occurance.

Thus, Sutton and Walker would seem, by deduction, to be the most viable candidates for the "trapped passenger".

Hope all is well in NZ!