Robert Hichens

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I'm going to have to get out TIAT and re-read that passage, Paul - it certainly does sound interesting. I'll have to ask Molony what he made of it.

A while back I found an account of Hichens visiting the family of one of the victualling department - he had been friendly with this man, and had last seen and spoken to him the night of the sinking. Hichens wanted to pass this information on to the man's family, in what I thought was a compassionate gesture.

Very few, if any of us, are merely one dimensional caricatures.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Food for thought, Inger. Maybe Hichens made friends with some of the 3rd class while he was on QM duty on the poop bridge?

I just can't really see from Hichens testimony how he would have found time to have led a group of steerage passengers to safety.

Paul

Nov 10, 2005
I am looking for information on Quartermaster Robert Hichens. I have been told that he is a relative of mine, and he possibly may be my great great great grandfather or somewhere in the linage. I have no documentation on this however. I am only the 2nd gen of HICHENS born in USA. All my family on my father's side HICHENS, are from Southhampton and Penzance UK. I would like to corrospond with anyone whow would like to discuss Robert HICHENS and maybe help me with my research on Robert HICHENS. My full name is Francis Henry Douglas Hichens IV. My grandfather Francis Henry DOuglas Hichens II emigrated to USA and was borhn in 1912, so im thinking Robert may be a generation or two back from that. There are not very many HICHENS in the USA and I hope someone out there can provide me with some info that could help me out. Please contact me at nlrdarecop@aol.com or on these boards so we can talk. thank you

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Francis,

Welcome aboard! I moved your post to here, where it's more appropriate.

I recommend that you read the other threads in this sub-topic, as their is some good information in them. Next, I suggest that you read his biography which is on this site, if you haven't already. Click HERE to access it.

Last but not least, there is a terrific full scale biography written by two top notch researchers; Phil Gowan and Brian Meister, which includes some great photos. For that one, click HERE.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jason
happy.gif

May 12, 2009
Was it pretty well established that Robert Hichens was a cruel, uncooperative coward or was he a victim of character assassination with the public desperate for "villains" and scapegoats, like they did with J. Bruce Ismay?

Taylor Marino

Feb 3, 2007
Hmmmmmm...what a great question! I personally don't think that I have an answer for that, Evgueni(wonderful name, by the way). In no way do I think that he is a "villain", but I do agree that the media and the public wish to view him that way. The volunteer work that I put on at the "Molly" Brown House Museum, in Denver, has never really had the need for a touch on what happened in Lifeboat No. 6, but lately I have been describing Margaret's views of Robert. Margaret did believe that he was a coward, but wasn't it hard not to be one! You have a gigantic ship in the middle of the freezing as hell ocean, and the gigantic ship is sinking! And we also have to remember that Robert held the wheel at the time that Titanic hit, most likely causing emotional guilt. Some people's coping tool is to curl up in a ball and portray "cowardness." My personal view is that Robert was an emotionally unstable man at the time because of what was going on. I don't think that we can portray him as a coward, but then I don't think we can.

Taylor Marino

Feb 3, 2007
WOW...what a coincidence! And yes, I CAN'T believe that you have not been the the Molly Brown House!! You should try to get there this summer...it is really fun!

E

Ella Jones

I am not to sure but I can recall a member months ago mentioning that Hichens had a criminal record at the time of the disaster.
I won't mention he's name just in case I have it all wrong (I don't want to him into a fool)
So Hichens had a criminal record and what for,what was the crime he committed?

Dec 8, 2000
Ella, I think you're a little muddled on chronology there. Take a look at Hichens' biography and the associated newspaper items, and you'll see he was charged with attempted murder in 1933, and was sentenced to five years penal servitude for the same. There's no mention of any criminal record in the lead up to his sailing on Titanic.

Considering the detailed and at times quite heated discussion in this particular thread over whether Hichens was ever a harbourmaster in Cape Town in 1914, I thought it might be beneficial to add that there is now an article that researches this at some length and provides an interesting insight into the life and times of Robert Hichens, which can be found here:

Why Hichens Was Not in Cape Town in 1914 | William Murdoch

C

Caroline Mendes Ferreira

quartermaster Hichens

After the disaster he took 6 of the boat which was responsible. Passenger accused that he refused to return to rescue people who were in the water he called the people in the water bodies and he always criticized those who rowed while he was at the helm. From what I studied I saw that many were tired of Hichens. Bad to the investigation said that he never said the word corpses