Robert Steel Snr and his son

suzanne scott

Nov 15, 2005
my grandfathers uncle and grandfather were both on the titanic - both named robert (edward) steele. Only one was officially recognised - we always thought it was robert snr - they were both trimmers. Robert snr was already working on the titanic - his son apparently decided to join him at southampton and, we assume, signed on onboard - my grandfather carried his case to the gangplank and that was the last they saw of either of them.
Compensation was paid to his grandmother but only for one as only one was recognised as being on the ship. Crew manifest only shows one but lists him as single which would imply it was the son. Anyone got any ideas/advice/info as to where i could get any more information. Is it likely they would have thought it was an error if 2 were listed? Also someone told me they found Robert Steele entered under substitute crew members but i've never seen that sheet.
Also are you able to get copies of the original signing on sheets or notices of death/compensation etc?
Sorry for all the questions.

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
Suzanne...
I have searched ET for you, but this is all I have found:
=======================================================

Mr Robert Edward Steel

Mr Robert Edward Steel, died in the sinking.

His body, if recovered, was never identified.

Sources
United States Senate, Washington 1912. no. 806, Crew List

Acknowledgements
Bill Wormstedt, US

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Suzanne,

The Robert Steel who signed on was a "Substitute" Crew member. - On the opening page of this web-site under "People" go to "Other Groups" then to "Crew Signing-on Sheets". Look under: "Substitutes Engaged". He was so late signing-on that most of his personnel details are omitted.

The Signing-on Sheets are part of Public Record Office document BT 100/259. - When I locate my copy I will try and scan the entry for you.

According to the Titanic Relief Fund booklet [available from the Titanic Historical Society] Case No C.240 the name of the dependants were Robert & Mary Steel - father & mother. - You say your grandfather's grandmother received compensation. But the Relief fund paid out to her and her husband, Robert.

What leads you to believe that Robert, snr was already working on the Titanic? - As a secondary thought I looked at the list of Crew for the Belfast to Southampton run, but do not see him on that list. - You can check that list for yourself as it is part of the Signing-on pages.

Inquiry 6 = MT 9/920/201 lists the deceased Crew. For Steel, R. it has "unknown" both under "Nationality & Birthplace" and under "Age".

I hope that helps,
Lester

suzanne scott

Nov 15, 2005
Thanks everyone.
Lester we are 100% sure they were both on the ship - this box is so tiny notsure if i'll be able to fit it in and it's a Bit difficult to go into it all here so i'll try sending you a direct message!
It's a real mystery!

Apr 27, 2003
Suzanne - Hello Good Morning- here is my entries for Mr. Scot - I hope they help?
Any other questions please ask - Brian

Steel, Robert Edward. Lived at 2 Nelson Street, Chapel, Southampton. Occupation - Trimmer. (Place of birth - Unknown).

(Death Notice Southern Daily Echo 27th April 1912 and Hampshire Independent 4th May 1912).
Steel, Robert Edward
Beloved and only Son of Robert and Mary Steel, of 2, Nelson Street, Chapel.

(From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913)
Number 240. Steel, Robert, father and Mary, mother. Both class G dependants.

(From the Titanic Relief Fund Minute Book number 2, Southampton Area)
Date 28th May 1914.
Case number C240. That Mr. Steele (partially dependent father) to be sent to Miss Aitchinsons Home at Lyndhurst to recuperate after an operation.

suzanne scott

Nov 15, 2005
thanks for that brian - this gets more strange by the minute!!!! and yes the whole family (including my grandad and his mother) were living at the nelson street address. i'm now curious as to why the whole family - thought they were both on the ship. gets more interesting by the minute!