1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Rolling keel

Discussion in 'Titanic Models and Modelmaking' started by jim mclaughlin, Jun 15, 2018.

  1. I am halfway through building a 200 scale Titanic, did she have a rolling keel?
  2. Is this the same as a bilge keel ? (If you will pardon the question from an ignorant landlubber.....LOL)
    From what I have found on a search, bilge keels were fins fitted at the bottom of the keel to reduce rolling.
    Also I have read that "Denny-Brown Stabilizers" (?) were fitted later to combat the notorious rolling of the original RMS Queen Mary .
    Are there any similarities between the two ?
  3. Dave Gittins

    Dave Gittins Member

    I think you mean bilge keels. Titanic had bilge keel on both sides. They were 300' x 2'. There is no similarity to stabilisers. Stabilisers are active "wings" that project from the hull and continuously adjust themselves to counteract rolling.

    By the way Quartermaster George Rowe was awarded the British Empire Medal for his role in fitting stabilisers to Queen Mary.
  4. Thanks for the info, I worked in H&W for 30 years, we called the bilge keel "rolling keel" because its function was to reduce ships roll.
    We also fitted fin stabilisers to many ships during construction.
  5. 20180605_153952.jpg

    Progress so far, the table is 6ft. long.
    Lars Lunden and Harland Duzen like this.
  6. Hi Jim, is that is a model building from scratch? If so, i'm looking for plans that fit the actual size of the planned ship I mean plans which you don't need to convert to have this fit the scale. Thanks