Aug 24, 2011
hello first, I am new here and sorry my english is bad ( I am only 14)

Rosa Pinsky is a very interesting passenger but i now only that of her
she was jewish
she was widowed
she lived in burrough park street
she had relatives in warsaw
she shared a cabin with mrs. watt, miss watt and with miss toomey in second class
she was saved in lifeboat 9
and she return to russia (or poland ?)

but what became of her, why did she return, where can i find a photo of her, did she have cildren, what was her maiden name , whats her birth date, did she have sisters or brothers, what are names of her parents, when did she died and where?

hope some one can give some answers =)

Alessandro

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
She used to live in Brooklyn and went to her native Poland to visit relatives. On the way back to the USA she boarded the Titanic and survived on Lifeboat #9. According to new information here on ET, the ordeal left her in poor health and unable to care for herself in America and so she returned at some stage to Poland, presumably for family support. Poland was by then annexed by Russia and she probably found it difficult to leave. Recent research (as per ET) suggests that she was still in Poland during WW2 and died there during the holocaust and is buried in a mass grave.

One of the saddest fates that befell a Titanic survivor. :(

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I contacted my sources in Russia and Israel about Rosa Pinsky and they have come up with a likely explanation based on their research thus far that is somewhat at odds with what is currently thought about her, but explains her return to Poland after the disaster.

According to my source, Rosa Pinksy was NOT a "Polish-American" - at least not yet at the time. She did not actually live in Burrows Street in New York but was visiting relatives/friends there (and elsewhere), presumably with plans to move herself and her children (who were still in Poland at the time) to the US. So, unlike some sources, she was not 'returning' to the USA on board the Titanic but actually going there, although it may not have been for the first time. Details awaited.

From what I have learned, Rosa Pinsky was born in a small Polish town called Bereznitsa in 1880. Bereznitsa was a 'shtetl' (meaning a birch grove) and most Jewish families is the Russo-Polish region lived in shtetls at the time. There is some evidence that Rosa's parents were upper middle class, probably even wealthy. Rosa grew-up there, attended a good school and eventually got married. Her husband and she moved to Warsaw, presumably in the early 1900s.

We do not yet have information of Rosa's life from the early 1900s to 1912 but she and her husband might have visited the US during that time with the intention of immigrating there. They did have children, one of them a daughter named Leah. Rosa was widowed a few years later (details awaited) and she presumably decided to move to the US with her children after that. That would mean that her voyage alone on board the Titanic was a visit to explore possibilities.

On board the Titanic Rosa shared a Second Class cabin with Ellen Toomey, Bessie Watt and the latter's daughter Bertha. Rosa was rescued on board Lifeboat 9 and upon reaching New York, spent several days recuperating in hospital. She was helped by the American Red Cross but she either changed her mind about exploring settlement in America or circumstances did not work out as planned. Either way, Rosa Pinksy returned to her children and family in Poland soon after recovering.

Rosa and her family moved to Volyn just before WW1; they went through a hard time during the First World War and later especially the Bolshevik Revolution and Polish-Russian hostilities. By 1922 the family fortunes had started to decline due to hostile attitudes of the Bolsheviks towards business people. Volyn suffered a lot due to being in the epicenter of hostilities between Russia and Poland. They were virtually bankrupt by the 1930s but lived quietly for a few years before the Germans invaded in 1939. Oddly enough, despite their Jewish status Rosa and her family appear to have suffered no major hardship through the Nazis themselves. But they and other Jews in the area were especially targeted by Ukranian nationalists and it is believed that Rosa and her family were butchered in 1943 during the Volyn massacre. Rosa is believed to be buried in a mass grave.

Rosa's daughter Leah somehow survived that massacre (details awaited) and later moved and settled down in Israel. She became Leah Grynshpan, presumably after marriage; the surname was anglicized to Grinspan at some stage but it is unknown whether Leah herself moved to the US; her descendants may have done.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Nice info. I couldn't find any of that on the interwebs when I searched before. Maybe its out there in a language I don't understand. Anyway good info. Thanks.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I have told Nikolay (one of my sources on Rosa Pinsky) about conflicting information about her visit/return to America and what's here on ET. He has his own source in Israel who has been trying to get as much information as possible about her for over 2 years. I'll post what I learn but her resting place may never be definitely known.

Nov 14, 2005
I have told Nikolay (one of my sources on Rosa Pinsky) about conflicting information about her visit/return to America and what's here on ET. He has his own source in Israel who has been trying to get as much information as possible about her for over 2 years. I'll post what I learn but her resting place may never be definitely known.
Just curious. Are your friends researching her from a Titanic perspective or a holocaust one? Or a combination of the two? Was wondering that as you mentioned your friend/source in Israel. I've visited the Yad Vashem center in Jerusalem. Impressed with what they've done there.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
Are your friends researching her from a Titanic perspective or a holocaust one?
As far as I can gather, Nikolay (who is of Polish-Russian ancestry) first developed an interest in Rosa Pinsky because she happened to be a Titanic survivor. He has also talked about celebrating annual anniversaries of the Titanic disaster but is also very interested in the effects of the Holocaust in Eastern Europe. Therefore, the answer to your question has to be "a bit of both", at least as far as Nikolay is concerned.

I have never met Nikolay in person but he responded to my query about Rosa Pinsky in one of Eastern European Titanic sites (I cannot recall which) about 2 years ago. As his English was very limited, we corresponded through an interpreter named Garold Goodwin and I suspect that our mails to each other are translated from English to Russian and vice versa. We have been exchanging many such mails since then.

The other source is a bone fide Israeli named Moshe Kruman and I believe he lives in Beit Shemesh. I have never corresponded with him directly but know that he is the primary source of all Holocaust related information for Nikolay. I don't know if Moshe has any interest in the Titanic, but know that he is very specifically researching into Rosa Pinsky and her family, including current descendants.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
As far as I can gather, Nikolay (who is of Polish-Russian ancestry) first developed an interest in Rosa Pinsky because she happened to be a Titanic survivor. He has also talked about celebrating annual anniversaries of the Titanic disaster but is also very interested in the effects of the Holocaust in Eastern Europe. Therefore, the answer to your question has to be "a bit of both", at least as far as Nikolay is concerned.

I have never met Nikolay in person but he responded to my query about Rosa Pinsky in one of Eastern European Titanic sites (I cannot recall which) about 2 years ago. As his English was very limited, we corresponded through an interpreter named Garold Goodwin and I suspect that our mails to each other are translated from English to Russian and vice versa. We have been exchanging many such mails since then.

The other source is a bone fide Israeli named Moshe Kruman and I believe he lives in Beit Shemesh. I have never corresponded with him directly but know that he is the primary source of all Holocaust related information for Nikolay. I don't know if Moshe has any interest in the Titanic, but know that he is very specifically researching into Rosa Pinsky and her family, including current descendants.
Ok thank you for the reply/info. I was curious to how both were on the subject and what you wrote makes sense. Maybe they'll come up with something. But the odds are probably against them. So many lost to history during that time and many other times too. Thanks again.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I was curious to how both were on the subject and what you wrote makes sense. Maybe they'll come up with something. But the odds are probably against them. So many lost to history during that time and many other times too. Thanks again.
I know, but that's the challenge. The information available on Rosa Pinsky is very limited and conflicting, as we discussed. Research is likely to unearth more accurate information about her pre-Titanic life and perhaps from 1912 (after she returned to Poland) till 1939. But once WW2 started, everything became very confusing and disrupted.

There are other shipwreck survivor passengers about whom I have an interest and am researching. One is another Titanic survivor Virginia Emanuel-Martin, who was 6 years and 6 months old at the time. I have posted quite a bit of information about her on ET. The other is Lusitania survivor Julia Sullivan.