Rose and the diamond

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Thomas,
Rose never spent the diamond when she was struggling to make it through life after the disaster because it reminded her of Cal, and she didn't want his help in her "new" life.
All Ahead Full!

Jun 12, 2004
Actually, I don't fully agree with that assessment (unless I misunderstood). She actually want to forget all about Cal. I contend that the diamond represented her love for Jack and that she held on to the diamond as a way of holding on to her memory of, love for, and dedication to Jack. This motivated her to move on and live her life and be happy, just as Jack had wanted her to do.

Of course, I predict that you'll come back and say that Cameron actually claimed in an interview that it was for Cal, ;) hehe. Not trying to tease you, but it's an inkling a have. Can you site that reference if there is one? Thanks.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Of course, Mark,
It was actually a line that was deleted from the film, old Rose says it. It is in the Illustrated Screenplay...near where Rose disembarks from the Carpathia. I don't have it with me now, but it was along the lines of," Every time I thought of spending it, I thought of Cal. And somehow I got by with out his help."
All Ahead Full!

Dec 8, 2000
It's from the original version of the scene at the stern of the Keldysh, where Rose chucks the big blue rock into the ocean. Originally Bodine, Lizzy and Lovett are present and get a huge shock to discover Rose has the necklace with her. Cameron changed it to Rose on her own, keeping the focus on the Jack'n'Rose story rather than bringing in Lovett's epiphany at that point.

Here you go, from Titanic, James Cameron's Illustrated Screenplay, annotated by Randall Frakes, p151:
quote:

Rose : The hardest part of being so poor, was being so rich. But every time I thought of selling it, I thought of Cal. And somehow I always got by without his help.

Jul 12, 2003
I kind of agree with Mark. The necklace, being called The Heart of the Ocean, may be somewhat symbolic. She met and fell in love with Jack on the ocean and I think she saw it as a representation of her love for Jack. And, I think it is somewhat fitting that she tossed it into the ocean where Jack was...kind of like laying her heart to rest with his.

Even tho Cal bought it for her, I doubt she ever wore it. She didn't love him.

Although, I would have liked to see the expressions on everyones faces if she told them she always had the necklace and proved it.

Thomas Balle

Dec 30, 2004
hey. you should read the script. she did show the others the diamond. but they edited the scene. and about her not selling it:

"ROSE
The hardest part about being so poor, was being so rich. But every time I thought of selling it, I thought of Cal. And somehow I always got by without his help. "

you can go to www.back-to-titanic.com and read some of the deleted scenes.

originally, they saw her about to drop the diamond into the ocean but stops her. lovett or whatever his name is gets to touch it once, and then she throws it into the water. the scene was re-written.

Jun 12, 2004
Thomas Balle,

It's not that I dispute what it says in the script. I was only inferring that there were deeper implications that those which were stated in the script. I suggest that there was a dimension involved with the diamond that related to Jack. After all, she dropped it into the ocean, where Jack had gone, as if, as Deborah had stated, to sort of give her heart to him. This seems to be evident in the fact that, right after that, her spirit goes to join him in the ship, where they kiss. That tells me that there's a connection between the diamond and Jack. This is implied, although it isn't referred to in the script.

My point: Look deeper!

R

Rachel Walker

>>"She didn't love him. "
Or the man she married for that matter! I guess she just wanted his money;)<<

After the whole Cal thing, I don't think she would have married someone unless she loved him. She may not have loved him as much or the same way, but I'd bet she still cared for him.

And I agree with Mark.

Rennette Marston

Rennette Marston
May 23, 2020
Halifax, Nova Scotia
It's from the original version of the scene at the stern of the Keldysh, where Rose chucks the big blue rock into the ocean. Originally Bodine, Lizzy and Lovett are present and get a huge shock to discover Rose has the necklace with her. Cameron changed it to Rose on her own, keeping the focus on the Jack'n'Rose story rather than bringing in Lovett's epiphany at that point.

Here you go, from Titanic, James Cameron's Illustrated Screenplay, annotated by Randall Frakes, p151:
Do you mean this clip? Start at 4:08 (please forgive the background music).