Rose Ruth Countess and Lucile in Lounge

Sep 1, 2004
Does anybody say me, what do these four ladies talking about, when they sitting in Lounge on tea? (Before "flying scene"). In czech dubbing, Ruth says that same like in script (about invitations and Bridemaid`s dresses), but then starts Lucile to talk something about her "New collection for Countess of Kent". Does she really say this? Can you help me?

Thank you very much
Vitezslav Ivicic

Johan Jonsson

Apr 4, 2005
Ok, here is the entire dialogue from that scene (From the finished movie, not the script). The "C" Stands for Countess of Rothes, the "R" for Ruth, and the "L" Stands for "Lucille Duff Gordon". Enjoy!

C: Tell Lucille about the disaster you had with the stationer's.

R: Well, of course the invitations had to be sent back, twice.

L: O my dear!

R: And the dreadful bridesmaid's gowns, let me tell you what an odyssey that has been. Rose decided she wanted laveder. She knows I detest the colour, so she did it all to despite me.

L: If only you'd come to me sooner. Ruth saw some of my designs in "La Mode Illustrée", they were for the Duchess of Marlborough's youngest daughter. They were quite charming! But I think you'll agree my dear, that together we've created something of a "phoenix from the ashes"!

Matt Simons

Mar 12, 2005
"If only you'd come to me sooner." doesn't this line belong to the unnamed women with the child, that Rose looks at. Or am I mistaking something?

Johan Jonsson

Apr 4, 2005
No. It is from Lady Duff Gordon. Since Lucille is a designer, the entire conversation is about Roses wedding and the dresses for the brides maids. Therefore this line is said by Lucille.
I am 100 % sure.

Sep 1, 2004
Thank you Johan. Whom does Lucile said her last sentence? To Rose? But she did not hear they so that does not make sense?

Johan Jonsson

Apr 4, 2005
No, she say "If only you'd come to me sooner" to Ruth, and then she tells the Countess of Rothes about her designs in "La Mode Illustrée".
That´s how it really goes
happy.gif

May 12, 2005
Johan is quite right about the dialogue which unfortunately is not in the published script. You have to turn your TV volume up even to hear this conversation.

As seemed to happen several times in Cameron’s script, his fictional situations have a ring of truth. Everyone knows about the "Jack Dawson" coincidence, but there is also the scene of Rose realizing the extent of the danger while standing at the grand staircase with Thomas Andrews. That is actually how Dorothy Gibson learned of the danger.

Also, in this scene in the lounge between the three ladies, Lucile’s mentioning of having recently designed for an aristocratic wedding is true. She had just designed the wedding dress, trousseau and bridesmaids frocks for the Duchess of Sutherland, who was wed on April 11, 1912. Below is a picture of the former Lady Eileen Butler and her ducal beau with all 22 bridesmaids, taken the day of the wedding.

97124.jpg

Sep 1, 2004
Thank you mr. Bigham. I have not english version of Cameron´s Titanic. That´s the reason of my question. In Titanic, there is more situations like that with Rose and Andrews (Jack breaks the door on Scotland Road). Where di you read that about Dorothy Gibson and Andrews. I have not read it before. Thank you very much.

May 12, 2005
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, I just went ahead and ordered a copy. Looks like just about every time I get my card payed off, I find something new to put on it. (Ordered a book on the HMS Hood yesterday that got a good review in Ship's Monthly.)