Rose survived titanic tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
G'day Deborah -

You're probably familiar with the definition of Troll as it applies here ( http://c2.com/cgi-bin/wiki?TrollDefinition ).

Samuel fits a lot of the criteria, both in his posts still on the board and in some that have already been removed to recycle. He has been given the benefit of the doubt thus far, but if he continues someone will sound the metaphoric 'Troll Alert' and suspend him.

The chief identifying characteristic of a Troll is that they try to draw posters into inane or provocative discussions and waste time.

Jun 12, 2004
He actually contacted me through email with the same old argument regarding The Strauses. At first, I thought it had to do with the possibility of a language barrier, but this makes sense, too. Although I speak Spanish, I was patient but getting frustrated with it. Thank you for the tip, Inger, and sorry I forwarded that email to you. I felt that if I made a final point and back my comments up with some "Big Guns" (You, Charlie Weeks, and Parks), maybe he would back off. I am friendly (most of the time) and understanding, but I have no time for inane, meaningless conversations that go nowhere. Again, my apologies for the email, and thanks for the tip.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>He actually contacted me through email with the same old argument regarding The Strauses.<<

My condolances, Mark. Suffice to say that we are keeping an eye on this gent so if you feel you're being baited, trolled, or being subjected to the downright silly, just leave it to your friendly moderating team. We'll clean up the mess.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2004
Well, that's one reason I BCC-ed my response to him to Inger, Charlie Weeks, and Parks as Well - not only for the purpose of backing up my points with "Big Guns," but also to let them know about it. I would have sent it to you, too, but I didn't know your email. I'm sure had I sent a copy to you, you would've responded. ;) Anyway, now that I know about him, I'll make sure to avoid him. Thanks.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Unwanted and unloved trolls are a sad sight all too common on our streets, but do not be tempted to take one into your home. Trolls can make good pets, but these little fellows have a tendency to become demanding and are rarely house-trained, so remember: a troll is not just for Christmas. If you need to dispose of a troll, and you do not have a troll sanctuary in your neighbourhood, generally the best strategy is to ignore your troll. They are shy and retiring creatures (often without a mate because female trolls are exceedingly rare) but in their natural habitat of cyberspace they do thrive on a diet of attention and gullibility and if these things are denied them they will soon move on to fresh pastures. NB: the behaviour patterns and thinking processes of a 22-year old troll are very like those of a 12-year old non-troll, so extra care should be taken not to open fire on an innocent target.

Jun 12, 2004
The thing with trolls, that I've surmised, is they lack in intellect (low IQ? immature?), otherwise they would have no need to play games. What do they get from baiting people? Is this constructive/productive in any way, or is it just for the thrill? Since they can't possibly achieve anything substantial from it, it's time wasted. Trolls must be oblivious to that fact, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

True, it takes some form of smarts to successfully bait people, but their methods are hardly sophisticated, and they are usually discovered and figured out in no time at all by people who are obviously smarter than they are to see the game. Their thinking processes are not that complex. I've had more than my share of them as moderator on various other sites in the past, so they usually stick out to me. That's why I knew something was unusual about Samuel.

Still, each troll is different and must be treated so...

That's my two cents, for whatever it's worth.

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
Not to be a troll apologist, but it seems as though samuel's "work" is paying off...the comments just keep pouring in. Let's just delete this thread, move on, and put an end to the Titani-tard message posting.

Jun 4, 2000
Better yet, hop back on topic.

Rose was rescued by Lowe's boat. In narrative terms it makes sense, as it's a way of having the protagonist experience the sinking and live. A common narrative device I've documented throughout Titanic fiction is having the protagonist survive on Collapsible B, with being rescued in #14 a variation on this theme. I can understand why Cameron used the more likely and dramatic variation to save Rose.

Status
Not open for further replies.