Rose's Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

Peter, it's a bit difficult to answer your questions because this situation was never clarified by James Cameron, the perfect person to give us a response. However,some time ago, in Back to Titanic 2001, I read that Rose's father had died the previous year, leaving lots of doubts to Ruth pay. Rose's family was from the high society of Philadelphia and there are no references to brothers or sisters, but Rose had a terrible relationship with her mother, because Ruth wanted Rose to marry the wealthy Cal Hockley but Rose had completely different dreams and she wanted to be a free woman, without marrying Cal. Sorry if I was unable to satisfy all your doubts but it's my point of view, based on what I saw in the film.

Regards, João

I Still think Rose must have had a bad home life, at least with her mom. She probably called her mother mam until about 10 years of age. Ruth would probably beat her.

Yes, Rose's dad did die but apart from when, for example Ruth (Rose's Mum)is putting rose's corset on she tells us brief bits of the situation but apart from what is in the film we don't know much about Rose. I suppose J.C won't leak the info. He probably would have to think about some stuff.

I've always seen Rose as a daddy's girl and that she was probably okay until he died. I think her relationship with Ruth was probably always strained but the father dying pushed them both over the edge. Just my opinion, though.

J

What do you think that have happened to Rose's mother after the sinking. I read somewhere that she stayed with Cal's family. After "losing" her daughter I suppose she became a nice person and more sensitive.Do you agree with me?

João

err yes an no. She was posessive and wanted Rose and herself to have Ca's wealth. Cal did marry and have kids so think what u want lol

Don Tweed

Since these are fictional characters I don't see a lot of reasons for there to be background on their fictional relatives.
It's like asking who got the property after Luke Skywalker left his home planet.
Now, I am not trying to belittle your genuine interest in the topic and I probably should not even be posting this, it's just there are far more factual events that are more educational and beneficial to our interest.
There, I said my peace and let you all continue with your conversation.
By the way, Roses' dad committed suicide.
He could not bear another day with dear old mom and took the cowards way out!
Just kidding, Don

D

Donna Grizzle

Hello again João,

One would like to think that losing your only child would put things into perspective for you. I'd really like to think that this is what happened with Ruth.

On the other hand, I'd also like to think Rose would be a bit forgiving and re-establish a relationship with her mother in the future. She may have been a bit selfish but I don't think she deserved to "lose" a child over it.

Don,

I know none of this really matters, but I enjoy pondering such situations. That's why this thread exists. If I want to check out a thread based on the factual and historical aspects of Titanic, I'll go there. I realize you mean no harm but just because we choose to discuss the fictional characters of a movie doesn't mean that we don't have a genuine interest in Titanic. If you do not see me posting in these other threads, it's because of fear of being laughed off of them because when it comes to the factual, historical aspects I still have much to learn. I prefer to read and absorb the information on these threads until I am certain that I know what I am talking about. You can dispute me on my general knowledge of the Titanic to date, but not on my dedication to learning everything I can about it.

J

Well, sorry Don, but Donna is 100% right. Our interest in the fictional story only intensifies our truly interest in the real Titanic!

Don Tweed

Believe me I meant no harm. And I know your interest is genuine.
I myself am no expert and please Donna do not be afraid to post and ask in threads. Nobody will scoff. That is how I learn myself.
I regret the post and except my apology.
It is fun to speculate and wonder about all aspects of the Titanic and that is why we are all here. I knew I had had a few to many when I made that last post!
I throw myself to the mercy of you and Joao and all others!!!
Best regards, Don

D

Donna Grizzle

no worries Don, I'm not one to hold a grudge. Besides, you have a right to voice your opinions just like the rest of us. Next time just make sure I agree with it first ;)

Don Tweed

It is strange that Rose never saw her mother again, or that is the perception I get from the film. Maybe Rose thought by seeing her mother again she would get caught back up in the society life. But after Cal took his life in the crash of 29' Rose should have contacted her at least to ease her mothers mind. I don't know.
They could have made a second movie showing Roses' life and the drastic change she went through. The movie could end with a much older Rose standing in line outside a theater in 1958 to see the premier of A Night to Remember.
Thinking out loud, Don

J

Don, I read something that said Rose's mother died in the 30's!

The background of the characters João, some people can think things mean something different. Drawing out what we can from the film of the little background knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.