Rostron's Scribner's Magazine article

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Capt. Rostron's "The Rescue of the 'Titanic' Survivors," which appeared in Scribner's Magazine in 1913, is now online courtesy of the Making of America Project. (Oddly, though, I found it through Google, but can't find it by searching from the MoA site.)

Anyway, it appears here; go to page 354.

Jan 29, 2001
Mark, would you please advise on what to enter into the Google search box?

I had no luck with the MoA site as well.

Thanks,

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Click on the word "here" in my first message, Mike; that will take you to right volume of Scribner's. Once there, enter "354" in the page number box and it will take you to the first page of the Rostron article.

It's kinda curious that although the very first page of this volume has the MoA legend on it, the individual pages have the "Digitized by Google" legend on them. I wasn't aware there was any connection between MoA and Google, but maybe that explains why it's not located by searching from the MoA pages, but does come up through Google.

Dec 8, 2000
Ta MAB, but alas for there is no page number box. I did a word search and only got a couple of lines in images rather than the article. Could this be an instance where the viewing experience varies depending on where in the world you're accessing the material?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Or maybe what version of Acrobat Reader you're using?

This is what I see when I click the link in my first message; the "page number" box I mentioned is the white box just above the top of the scanned page.

mime_msword.gif
Screenshot
Doc1.doc (257.0 k)

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Fi (and others in Oz), try this: at http://books.google.com.au/ search "rostron scribners." When I did that a few moments ago, the Scribner's volume in question was the first one pictured.

The same thing happened on a couple of other Google sites (.com, .co.uk, .hu, etc.) that I tried.

Dec 8, 2000
Ok, I've done a couple of screencaps.

First, the page I get when clicking on the link. Note there is no 'read' option in the top of the left hand column as there is in your screencap: following the direct link

Then, what's produced by a search on 'Rostron': Rostron search screencap

But this is daft: I've used google books before and had the reader view that's in your screencap.

Maybe it's because we're upside down! I'll play with books.google.au to see if that makes a difference... And post a direct link if it does.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Certainly doesn't look like what I'm seeing on any Google site. Maybe it is a function of where you are rather than which Google site you use.

Maybe it's time to get the OCR program cranked up and post a transcript to Rostron's bio page.

Dec 8, 2000
Whoops, sorry Mark. I was so intent on my screencapping that I didn't realise you'd posted about the .au site.

Having played around a bit, this is definitely an instance of where you are rather than the google site. When I run the search on the .au site using 'rostron' and 'scribners', I get a list of results that can be filtered by:

• All books - 218 results (including the result I want)
  • Limited preview and full view - 36 results (and the result I want is gone)
  • Full view only - none
  • Public domain only - none
So there you go. Not unlike Gutenberg and Lightoller's autobiography. ;)

Thanks in advance for providing a version that will be accessible worldwide.
happy.gif

Jan 29, 2001
*Maybe it's because we're upside down*

Or, maybe because we're on top...Northern, NV where we received 15 inches of snow two nights ago! No luck with the Rostron rescue...:-(
Same result as Fiona and Jason.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA