Route from well deck to boat deck

eyefullone

Sep 27, 2020
Can anyone point me to pictures or plans of the ladderway from the well deck to the boat deck? I'm trying to understand how passengers from the third class reached the boat deck from the well deck. I know Wilding said there were ladders intended for this purpose, but I can't find them on the deck plans or on pictures. Does anyone have those?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Can anyone point me to pictures or plans of the ladderway from the well deck to the boat deck? I'm trying to understand how passengers from the third class reached the boat deck from the well deck. I know Wilding said there were ladders intended for this purpose, but I can't find them on the deck plans or on pictures. Does anyone have those?

Thanks!
there were stairs on the Port and Starboard sides of the ships. Going from B-Deck to A-Deck. The Third Class passengers most likely came up through here, or maybe the Grand Staircase.

Here's some diagrams of the forward Stairs from B-Deck to the Boat Deck.
B-Deck:
1601234089301.png

A-Deck:
1601234138356.png

Boat Deck:
1601234240288.png

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
As for the Aft Well Deck, many Third Class climbed the cranes to the lifeboats, to avoid the crew stopping them, but there was one way to the Boat Deck:
Stairs from the Aft Well Deck to B-Deck:
1601234639787.png

Then, they either went up the Second Class staircase, or climbed the cranes. There weren't any stairs to A-Deck.
(This is B-Deck, stairs are to A-Deck)
1601234846307.png

eyefullone

Sep 27, 2020
This is perfect, thanks. From the description I was thinking they were outside ladders but I see now. Do we know how long the crew stopped the third class from reaching the boat deck? I have read conflicting reports of that.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
This is perfect, thanks. From the description I was thinking they were outside ladders but I see now. Do we know how long the crew stopped the third class from reaching the boat deck? I have read conflicting reports of that.
There were gates, on the stairs that led from the Forward well deck, to B-Deck, and as well as the Aft well deck stairs to B-Deck. They also just plainly stopped them, like, forcing them back. Some just ignored them and ran to the boat deck.

B

Bob_Read

Climbing the cranes to the boat deck? That’s a new one. If you were taking an entirely external route there are two iron ladders at the aft end of A deck up to the boat deck.
E7908F69-5926-4EDE-B6A8-E4E870E598E4.jpeg

Apr 3, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan USA
Climbing the cranes to the boat deck? That’s a new one. If you were taking an entirely external route there are two iron ladders at the aft end of A deck up to the boat deck.View attachment 50021
Mr. Read,
Climbing the cranes to reach the boat deck is not a "new one" as you say. Olaus Abelseth testified to his being a witness to that event(s) during his appearance at the American Inquiry.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Mr. Read,
Climbing the cranes to reach the boat deck is not a "new one" as you say. Olaus Abelseth testified to his being a witness to that event(s) during his appearance at the American Inquiry.
Thank you Mr. Ciel. There are many books who touch on the matter. Anyway, Did Olympic have these ladders as well, Bob or Mr. Ciel?

Apr 3, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan USA
Thank you Mr. Ciel. There are many books who touch on the matter. Anyway, Did Olympic have these ladders as well, Bob or Mr. Ciel?
Just a quick answer. If you watch the You Tube video entitled Titanic Departure real 1912 video (it is actually Olympic) starting at the 3:01 mark you can make out the outside ladders at the aft end of both A and B decks (both Port and Starboard sides) that would get you to the Boat Deck.