off and the grills fallen away, this shaft could be an
exellent entry way to #6 and every floor inbetween for
a vid rov free of cableing and debries unlike the
ellivator shafts, check the prints for size of shafts,
worth discussing with the dive team, get back Malcolm
at phoenix barge.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Malcolm, it helps to know that because the Engine Room was in the region of the break, it is completely accessable...to a point. Quite a bit of tangled wreckage there makes poking around inside a risky game even for an ROV.

Perhaps you meant to say Boiler Room 6?

Jul 21, 2004
Thank you for the correction,the air vent broberbly branched of at the boiler room level to serve the other boiler rooms also, the machanical prints would show this. Also the fact they found boilers and engines outside the wreck shows the floor anchor bolts failed under all that weight, ejecting the machinery out of the hull before she sank but the air shafts should still be in place relitivlly free of debrie and should be looked into as safe access into the inner hull by small rovs thanks.

Jul 21, 2004
Sorry Michael I had it backwards, now that I look at the print I mean the air vent to boiler room #1 the generater room and all decks inbetween that is in the stern section that is mostly intact, if we could get a small vid ROV in that air vent shaft I believe you would find most things in tact, as the bulk heads would have stopped the compression by the surge of water while on its way to the bottom due to the fact these areas were already flooded!......

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Mmmmmmm...as far as I know, there is no Boiler Room One anymore. This was in the area of the break and the contents are scattered about in the debris field. I agree that the vents, if any survived *might* be a useful way to get into the surviving boiler rooms, but only if the openings aren't blocked by grills or other debris.

Jul 21, 2004
Michael, I think your making the same mistake as I made,#1 boiler is infact in the stern, #6 is towards the bow at the break, check out the "deck plans" to further my idea of access through the air vents, there is a vent plan on this site that shows these huge air vents,that could be turned into the wind to force the air below deck,the largest are located on the aft poop deck to supply boiler room #1 both engine rooms, the turbine room and the electrical generating room, this had to be the hotest part of the ship, it also shows huge air lockers with massive car fans, Since this part of the ship is still intact, as I have said it could provide excellent access to all decks without the usual clutter of debris.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Michael, I think your making the same mistake as I made,#1 boiler is infact in the stern,<<

Not anymore it isn't. It's scattered throughout the debris field. What you're looking at back aft is what's left of Boiler Room Two.

And getting in through the air vents won't be as easy as you think. Even something with direct access to the boiler rooms is going to be stopped cold if it ends up in a boiler, or is stopped by a grating over the opening, the fan itself if it's still in place, or if it's a crushed, crunched and jumbled mess. All that aside, eventually, you get to ductwork that's small enough to make running even an ROV through it a tricky if not insurmountable problem.