Roy Buchmueller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, my name is Roy and I live in Essex in the UK, I am 57, semi-retired through ill health so do have time for stumbling about on the world wide web, others surf, I stumble, just the way I stumbled into here!
I have served time as an engineer officer when Britain had a Merchant Navy, I rose to the dizzying heights of 4th Engineer on tankers with Mobil Oil (Sweat and Toil), or 3rd Engineer according to the Liberians! Still have that ticket somewhere. Board of Trade kept loading me with sea-time as I came out of a light engineering background.
Though I left the sea some 30 years ago I have always been fascinated with all things to do with ships, mainly steam ships and the sea. As one of my old mates used to say, 'who wants to go careering about the oceans on a series of explosions!'
Of course the Titanic draws you in and doesn't seem to ever let you go along with the likes of the Lusitania: I am of the belief Churchill knew exactly what he was doing in this case to draw the US into WWI, though not so quickly as he imagined, (still not yet released all the documents even now,) an excellent wartime PM but a flawed failure for most of his political life. My Nan told me a story of one of his visits to the East End of London during the war, walking the ruins, he turned and said to the women searching for their belongings, my Nan being one, and said 'we can take it!' He was told in no uncertain terms just who was doing the taking! They never thought much of Churchill in the East End.
However, I digress, it's not only these ships that fascinate, the likes of the Derbyshire et al, mysterious happenings through either incompetence or stupidity or just unfortunate circumstances. Talking of the Derbyshire reminds me of one ship I was on, the illustrious Mobil Transporter, though the ship was an absolute ****heap it had a great crowd on it, worked hard played hard, and didn't touch a thing if it was working. The 'Trannie' was a jumbo-ised OBO carrier, the back half belonged to 1956! The front bit built specifically to fit the Panama Canal was much newer, it had 2 bow waves and was shaped like a coke bottle! We went through a typhoon off Japan on that ship, it was hell couldn't sleep, hardly eat or drink, couldn't let go of your cans for a moment! Only when we made it through did the 'Old Man' say he thought we were lucky to have made it through!!!
We used to laugh at some of the accidents that used to occur navigating the likes of the Mississippi River, we spent 8 hours aground there due to an incompetent Pilot, remember the 'Bell Book' well, 'Loud Bump Felt In Engine Room Followed By Grinding Steel.' Some of course were not so funny.
For myself I am of the opinion that the Board of Trade did a whitewash job of an enquiry, too many questions left unanswered. Of course the film's that have been made also don't help, James Cameron's 'Titanic' probably comes closest in explaining the full horror of the sinking. Just the other night watched the Barbara Stanwyck/Clifton Webb 'Titanic' where the latter and his 'son' are singing hymns as the ship sinks.
Anyway, as usual rambled on, stumbling into senility, I look forward to contributing something once I have found my way around the site
Regards
Roy B
'Crazytrucker'

Hi!Roy!
I've studied about WWI in my history textbook!
However, i've never communicated with a person who involved in it before!
As i know, Lusitania was sank and many American passengers died! Were you in the ship at that time?!
Do you mind sharing more with me about your experience?!

Jason D. Tiller

Hello Roy,

Welcome aboard! If it's ships you're fascinated in, then you've come to the best place.

Enjoy and see you around the board.

If it's shipwrecks you're interested in, you have most definately come to the right place. When they get sliced, diced, munched, crunched, rolled over, grounded, blown up and/or torn up, we take note of it and even study it.

When you want to go past Titanic or even the Carpathia, Empress of Ireland, or Lusitania, take a look at what we've got going in the Other Ships And Shipwrecks folder. If it's past or present, we cover it there.

"Re Roy,
ha!i totally forget the time that the ship sank!
But is the ship sank in the same cold water as Titanic did?!"

The Lusitania was torpedoed by U-20, 8 miles off of the Old Head of Kinsale, southern Ireland May 7th 1915, and yes I suppose the water would have been cold, not as cold as the mid-Atlantic, but still cold enough to make survival extremely difficult.

Roy B
'Crazytrucker'

Howdy Roy

Welcome to
et.gif

Re Roy,
>>not as cold as the mid-Atlantic, but still cold enough to make survival extremely difficult.<<

It's really a hard way!!
Well so were they mainly cold to death?!

Status
Not open for further replies.