RTT once again

Feb 18, 2006
I guess I'm thinking more about the Idea itself, Raising the Titanic, than of Cussler's book. Of course Clive Cussler has copyrighted this particular version of raising the ship. Is it possible to split the difference? Both Serling and Clarke had very different takes on exploring the sunken Titanic (I preferred Serling's ghosts), what about a variation on raising the ship not derived from the novel? Or is this thread more concerned with Cussler's story? Just asking.
I still think a computer geek with an artistic friend could create a short webfilm.

Nov 30, 2000
In the opening credits of "Sahara", on the wall of Dirk's office is a newspaper clipping with a photo of the Titanic and the headline: "Profile of NUMA team that raised Titanic".
So the "what if" regarding Raise The Titanic was kept intact in this second (and apparently last) film version of Dirk Pitt.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I still think a computer geek with an artistic friend could create a short webfilm.<<

Maybe, but then you would have a very different story from the one that Clive Cussler penned. It just wouldn't be his story but something very different.

Mr. Cussler's beef with Hollywood was that they promised to be faithful to his work. They weren't.

Feb 18, 2006
Ooookay, so the issue is in being true to the Cussler book, as opposed to raising the Titanic as an idea, now I got it. Well, what about a webfilm that WAS faithful to the book (allowing for being shorter? Is that still feasible? This does appear to be quite the issue here.

Nov 15, 2006
As already said, Dr Clive Cussler will not allow for this book to be made into another film because of what happened to the 1980 version.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Well, what about a webfilm that WAS faithful to the book <<

But once you allow for it to be shorter, it's not going to be faithful to the book. That's the problem here. Once the movie makers get their hands on it, they just can't seem to resist thr temptation to throw in some sort of "improvement."

Really, if you mean to make it true to the book, then do it that way. Just make it happen that way and forget the modifications or improvements.

Feb 18, 2006
Point taken. The most faithful adaption from book to film was GONE WITH THE WIND, and even that masterpiece had to leave a few things out. I still think it's possible, even if you have to abridge episodes, just don't mess with their intrinsic structure. (Personally I'd still leave out the love story.)

Actually, Ann. I'd say Eric Von Stroheim's GREED was the most faithful. He filmed the action on every page verbatim. They had to cut it from 9 hours to 2 1/4 hours to release it. But the entire novel was filmed as it was, with only a few embellishments (which did not cut anything but expanded on what was already there).

Apr 21, 2007
We know Mr. Cussler isn't gonna let Hollywood make another RTT movie after the 1980's, BUT he was pleased about Sahara(so I hear) an if they can get that action and those characters in another RTT movie it'll be great! I mean it makes sense they already mentioned RTT in Sahara w/ a newspaper article which would make sense if they were going to do a prequel.