Rule Of The Road!

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
If the cutter lifeboats had buoyancy tanks. One presumes they were behind the wooden slats as see in the photos at New York harbour.
Getting back to the thread Rules of the Road. Looking at all the replies I am not convince that all details requirements are been shown. As back in 1912, they look rather vague and questionable of the full meaning requirements?
Certainly look open to the correct interpretation to! Where by a barrister who may represent the seamen in a court case, would have a field day tearing the rules to pieces due to lack of clarification!
I think the only way I may get to the bottom of this. Is a visit to the National Archives record office building in Kew Richmond Surrey England. Which now I have a Reader's Ticket card.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
I did not know where to post this but here goes.

Among these pages, there is a great deal of pontification by those who find it hard to determine "the sharp end from the blunt end"
In particular, there is a great deal of mis-informed wisdom concerning the duties of officers on the bridges of British merchant vessels in 1912. perhaps the following Standing Rules might help to improve general knowledge?
Rules 2019-07-01 001.jpg

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks for posting that Jim.

That's a great insight into the daily duties and responsibilities of Chief Officer Wilde and Carpenter Hutchinson in particular.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Hi Jim,
The officer of the watch to report changes of weather , particularly so in cases of fog, heavy rain and haze.
Can you please tell me where the officer makes that report? In the scrape log book or directly to the captain?