Russians do it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
This article highlights a number of problems that have been facing the Russian Navy since the end of the Cold War. The four floating pontoons this beast tells me that she was likely in a sinking condition anyway and this boat is hardly unique in that respect. Quite a few of their boats have sunk at the pier and some of them are nukes.

Very simply, they just don't have the industrial capacity to deal with all the hulls that have been decommissioned. I expect things will get a lot worse befor they get better too. They've got a long way to go to clean up this mess.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
For those who have seen the movie K-19 on DVD, I would strongly suggest going to the "special features" portion as there is a great piece on the current state of a lot of Russia's submarine fleet.

This really doesn't surprise me, I was in Russia about 4 months ago and will again be in Russia in the coming weeks. Submarines are not the only thing rotting in Russia's harbors.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Yeah...a large part of their old fleet is as well. I was stunned when an old Project 58 "Kynda" class cruiser was brought back for use as a flagship just a few years ago. As out of date as this class was, it probably wasn't useful for much of anything else and couldn't have been in very good shape.

While a lot of these ships are still legally in commission, it's doubtful that most will ever put to sea again. It's all they can do to keep modern units going because of poor funding and maintainance...to say nothing of keeping them from burning and sinking at the pier!

Status
Not open for further replies.