Ruth Blanchard

T

Trent Pheifer

Hey Darren you are right.
She was indeed married on June 2, 1924(and separated from in 1940) Daniel Blanchard. She also had 3 kids by 1953 but all over the age of 20. Also in the 50s her youngest son developed nephrosis, so she may have been taking care of him at the time. Don Lynch said that "With the exception of a day trip to Catalina Island and an overnight ferry from Miami to Nassau, Ruth had never really been back to sea." In reference to them going on the cruise. So it must be another Ruth Becker.

-Trent

May 8, 2001
Trent. Interesting... Did her son die from nephrosis, or in the 1950's did they know how to treat it? I had a brush with this disease with MY youngest son in utero, and was a VERY frightening 3 months. Braced for the worst, (surgery or worse) praying for the best, believe me when I say that when he was born and he ummm "let fly" all over the poor unsuspecting nurse, (who tried unsuccessfully to jump out of the way) I couldn't have been more relieved.

T

Trent Pheifer

That is scary Colleen, glad everything ended up ok! Yes, her son did die from the disease. He was diagnosed in the early 50s. Don Lynch wrote: "Transplants were not yet being performed, and unless such a technique was perfected, he was not expected to survive more than five years." Rodger died in May of 1958, this was the son that Ruth had spent the most time with and understandably she was devastated by it. I think Rodger was about 25 years old.

-Trent