Safety Standards2002 Vs 1912

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matthew Sims

One of the arguements i hear frequently mentioned whenever the idea of a replica Titanic come up (and God i sure hope that doesnt happen...Some things are better left unimatated) is that Titanic would have never came anywhere close to passing todays safety standards..I know of the obvious, like pollution emissions and such, but just what of Titanic would and wouldnt have cut the mustard by todays standards?

Oct 28, 2000
Matthew-- a few thoughts off the top...

Titanic was built on the same principal as a backyard barbeque grill--a big steel bowl in which you put a lot of wood and other combustible materials. Virtually all of the carved woodwork must go. No grand staircase, please. It would provide a chimney to give a fire better draft.

Vastly improved fire supression system including better fire mains, automatic sprinklers, and detection devices.

Crew accommodations in the bow are too far forward for today's regulations. And, many of the crew slept in dormitories that would not be legal today.

The firemen's tunnel, stairway, and vestibule would be gone. Too dangerous in that they could allow one hole to flood the entire bow.

None of the galleys would meet modern food preparation standards.

More lifeboats, but not on the boat deck. They would have to go lower down so that it would not be as far to the sea for launching.

An after masthead light would be required.

Bridge would need a complete re-design to provide the necessary security.

All glass would have to be replaced with safety glazing.

Corridor widths, stairways, and fire exits would have to meet modern standards.

"Hand bombed" boilers would need to be upgraded to automatic oil burners with a more safety devices.

The number of cabins would have to be reduced in order to provide space for private toilet, basin, and shower in each.

Provision would have to be made for central heat and air conditioning.

Some changes in subdivision (watertight bulkheads) would be required.

Conventional 2-wire electrical system with ground.

-- David G. Brown

M

matthew Sims

Dang, and i guess thats to say nothing of all the dumping that was done in the ocean...I can only imagine all the damge that was done envoirmentally by that..And just out of curiousity, i know the oone funnel was was useless, but would 3 funnels work today?

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
As long it is within the law (size and space) they can have 500 funnels. For simplicity and space ship builders usually stick with one funnel, although I hear the new QM2 may have two or three.

Erik

M

matthew Sims

I thought simply for the amount of emmisions they put in the air they had to be regulated..Oops, call me stupid..Thanks for the clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.