Saint Louis Titanic Connections

Mar 15, 2001
Does anyone have any information on any Titanic related sites in Saint Louis? I am in that city currently and would love to visit any place with a Titanic connection here. Any info would be appreciated.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Darren,

I moved this thread into here.

According to Brian Ticehurst's excellent book "Titanic's Memorials Worldwide", First Class Passenger Elizabeth M. Robert and her daughter Georgette Alexandra Madill are buried in Bellefontaine Cemetery.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Mar 15, 2001
I had a hard time finding Elizabeths final resting place. I didn't remember her daughters last name and the huge family stone had "Madill" on the stone. In fact, her stone said "Elizabeth Walton Macmillan". I don't know why her headstone wouldn't have said Elizabeth Robert like the cemetery records showed. Elizabeth was married twice and both husbands names are on the headstone, strange I thought. The man in the office of the cemetery eye brows raised when he saw exactly where she was buried. He said that this was a very expensive part of the cemetery and its not far from where Anhauseur Busch is interred. I told him that Elizabeth was a passenger aboard the Titanic and he seemed very surprised and interested. I had thought that she deserved a mention in the listing of notables in the cemetery. Thanks again Jason for posting this info. It made my trip a little more interesting.

Mar 15, 2001
Correction, it was Adolphus Busch that is buried at Bellafontaine Cemetery, not Anheuser. Anheuser is the name of Busch's business partner that formed Anheuser Busch Brewing Company. Another interesting person buried at this cemetery is Captain Isiah Sellers, the most famous of the steamboat men plying the Mississippi River. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=9336&pt=Isaiah%20Sellers
The most famous person buried in this cemetery in my opinion? General William Clark. Clark and Meriwether Lewis led the famous expedition that explored the upper Lousiana Territory to the Pacific coast.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You're welcome Darren, I'm glad I could help.

Perhaps Elizabeth went back to her maiden name before she passed away, so that could be why "McMillan" is on the stone, rather than "Robert".

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Rob Ottmers

Feb 8, 2001
One other Titanic connection in Bellafontaine would be Carlos Hurd, the reporter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch who was on board Carpathia at the time of the sinking and wrote of the rescue for the papers. He and his wife, Katherine, are buried in Bellafontaine as well.

Mar 15, 2001
I wish I had known that Carlos Hurd was buried here. Vera Gillespie wrote the book about him and his Titanic connection. Bellafontaine is a huge cemetery and its amazing at the number of notables buried here.