Salvage Question

Phillip Ivey

Jan 25, 2011
I realize that the Greek Government is pretty tight about salvage from Britannic. Exactly why won't the Greek Government allow anyone to recover small items like china or pieces of the Grand Staircase that are lying on the ocean floor. Technically, it wouldn't be considered damaging the ship.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The short version is that the Britannic is considered to be a war grave. If somebody wanted to recover artifacts from the ship legally, they would need the permission of the British and Greek governments as well as that of Simon Mills who is the current owner of the wreck.

Unless somebody can make an extremely good case for doing so, this just isn't going to happen.

Phillip Ivey

Jan 25, 2011
That's what I thought, I think it is a good idea to just leave it the way it is. With Britannic's remarkable state of preservation, the ship should be around for a long time. Although it would be nice to have a piece of the ship like a piece of china or something.

Shel Cooper

Nov 8, 2013
AZ/LA
It would be interesting to see one of those engines raised and restored to working order. As for the ship being a war grave, I guess this applies even though no one actually died inside the ship? I know a lifeboat met a propeller and that's where the casualties were. Is that the case?