SALVAGE SHIP on Discovery Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL Glover

Jun 4, 2002
Hello MY FRIENDS, Just a curious question,i saw on (think discovery channel Saturday) that there is a a new or fairly new savage ship that has been used to salvage subs with, I 'thought" the program said the this ship could recover ships down as far as 15000 feet & lift somewhere in the neighborhood of 49 tons,
Questions(s)
Does any know about or saw this program & about the ship???

YOUR OPINION(s) Think "someone" may get it into their heads to """hey lets go after the Titanic',which I PERSONALLY have said befor (even though no bodies,bones)this is like a grave,& SHOULD NOT BE messed with,

Jan 31, 2001
Someone may get it into their head, but it would never be carried out. The Titanic is simply too fragile to be raised from the seabed, and it weighs much more than forty-nine tons! Plus, once raised, what would you do with it? She's only a shell of her former self, and that shell would probably collapse into itself before it reach the surface.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
49 tons is impressive as a start, but as Brandon indicated, this is a long way from being able to bring up anything larger. It sounds to me like this is something which is designed to bring up large chunks rather then an intact vessel, most of which weigh substantially more.

Your typical combat submarine weighs in at the high end of the hundreds of tons for such as craft designed to operate in the Baltic to the tens of thousands of tons which are operated by the major naval powers such as the United States, Russia, the U.K., China, and France.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

M

Marco Caputo

Maybe it's the same kind of ship used to salvage the Kursk submarine wreck
happy.gif

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
I think he's referring to the Glomar Explorer, used to recover the K-129...or rather, part of it. It was a pyrrhic success, since they had planned to recover the entire submarine. The claw used to haul the sub to the surface broke, and they were only able to recover a small portion of the boat.

I doubt seriously it would be useful in any salvage operation at the Titanic site.

Adam

Jul 9, 2002
Hello all!

As Brandon mentioned here and several salvage professionals and scientists have said, TITANIC is too far in disrepair to salvage. If we are lucky, the wreck will be there MOSTLY intact for another 25 or 30 years. After that the ship will collapse on itself and become simply a huge pile of rust on the ocean floor. This is why it is IMPERATIVE that we study and look at the site as much as possible now. About the best chance any of us have of actually seeing TITANIC is if you get the chance to see "The Big Piece" that was recently brought up and is now on display on the touring Artifact display. I have seen it and believe me, it is the most increadable thing! You can actually touch TITANIC and if you are a true "fan" it is the most moving experience of your life!

Cheers,
Ryan

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Would it be possible??? Yes. Would it be worthwhile? Well, now there's a question that would be a highly subjective matter of opinion. Methinks it would be a bear of a job to pull off as those boilers are larger then the "Big Piece."

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
I'm forever in a grey area between the salvage/anti-salvage views, so with my 'salvage' hat on, I'd say that I'd love to see a boiler come up; if they MUST lift things, then make it the most worthwhile, big thing you can! What a fantastic sight it would be. Truly, 'Titanic'.

Or in the future, when things start to get unfortunate down there, maybe a bow anchor, should one eventually detatch itself? But ONLY if it separates from the ship under it's own weight/through rusting.

C

Chris Nicholson

With this new technology, I hope that they can someday raise a "bigger piece". Something that won't be cut in two. Iv never seen the big piece in real life so im not really sure of the impact, but id like to see something that when you look at it you really get an idea for how large the ship is.
By the way, if they raise a boiler I hope it is the one that ballard saw that brought titanic to life again.

Status
Not open for further replies.