Same Line in Titanic 1997 Film and Titanic 1953 Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
Hey, everyone! I was just watching the 1953 version of Titanic last night and there was this one particular scene I am curious about. It's before the Titanic hits an iceberg it shows Mr. Sturges playing cards with some other passengers in the bar when a crewmember announces dinner with his trumpet. After he does so Mr. Sturges says that the British announce meals as if it were a "calvary charge." I saw the edited version of Titanic 1997 and also a crewmember announces dinner with his trumpet and the actor of Molly Brown comments to Jack and Rose, "Why do they always have to announce meals like a calvary charge?" Do you think James Cameron looked at the 1953 version of Titanic and put this phrase into his movie? I do know James Cameron used some similar scenes from the 1943 version of Titanic and put it into his film. Could he have also copied some things from the 1953 version? What do you guys think?

May 3, 2005
Zachary-

>>What do you guys think?<<

I'm in agreement with you.

Any others spotted some more ?

There are no doubt other similarities , such as the "I wouldn't have missed this for ....." speech of Gifford Rogers to Annette Sturges in the 1953 version and Jack Dawson to Rose Dewitt-Bukater in the 1997 version.

Also the omitted scene in the 1997 version showing Molly Brown asking for ice in her drink with the iceberg showing in the background and the steward ladeling ice just before the collision with the iceberg in the 1958 version ANTR.

Also similarities to the "I don't want to cause panic..."...Captain Smith to Richard Sturges in the 1953 version....Thomas Andrews to the passenger in ANTR....Andrews to Rose in the 1997 version.

May 3, 2005
Jack's (1997) comment about " the icy water cutting you like a thousand knives" was copied from Lightoller's comments in his testimony in the hearings.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Nobody ever claimed that Cameron's script was either good or original. Those more interested in movies than I am say the even some of the shots are set up the same as in other films.

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
Another similarity I noticed was when Thomas Andrews tells a stewardess in ANTR to put on her life jacket to set a good example. In the 1997 film of Titanic Thomas Andrews is seen giving orders to the crew and he tells a stewardess to put on her life jacket to set a good example for the passengers.

Also I noticed that Captain Smith on ANTR goes down with the Titanic on the bridge. In the 1997 film Captain Smith goes into the bridge and does the same thing except lock himself in an area not far from the bridge and awaits his fate.

I would of never guessed there would of been so many similarities from the 1997 Titanic film from other past Titanic films. I'm sure there's many more similarities out there.

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
This is not a similar line, but in the 1953 version when Clifton Webb says to his daughter at breakfast,"May I bone your kipper?", and the look on Barbara Stanwycks face is priceless and my wife and I howl every time we see it!
-Don

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
To be fair, some of the lines that are the same in several films are authentic words taken from the 1912 evidence. The incident of Andrews and the stewardess is a case in point.

May 3, 2005
Don Tweed-

>>This is not a similar line, but in the 1953 version when Clifton Webb says......<<

Richard: Annette ! Pick up Norman at the tailor shop on your way to the dining room.

Annette: I can't go into the dining room with him !

Richard: Then trail behind him at a respectable distance.

Richard: I have plans for Norman.

Julia: What plans ? To grow up to be you ?

Richard: Possibly. I'm satisfied.

-Robert

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
I guess that is a given fact about Thomas Andrews talking to the stewardess about setting a good example. Sorry, for misunderstanding the event.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Don, as soon as I get back to Kentucky, I'm going to have to watch the 1953 film and look for that scene you described about the kipper line! That one got right past me - and I've watched it a few times!

Kyrila

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
Kyrila,
Long time no talk! I have been so busy I was away for awhile. Hope you have been well.
That line by Clifton Webb just kills me. Of course Babs is tired of the kids being spoiled and Michigan seems the place to start and rebuild the dike. Another line that gets me is the one about a crystal tear falling from the eye of a suitor of Annette and Julia calls him a toad or something. If anything, the 1953 version captures the Edwardian thinking!!!
Take care, Don

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Considering that the people involved in the film were probably alive during the Edwardian era and raised by Edwardian parents, it doesn't surprise me that they captured Edwardian thinking.

By the way, Don, feel free to email me privately if you want to discuss my new situation. I've opened a costume shop in Hopkinsville, KY and we specialize in historic costumes for Ren Faires, Pirate Fests, Civil War Reenactments, Sci Fi Conventions and the like. I'll have to update my profile with my new information.

Kyrila

May 3, 2005
It would seem the producers of "Titanic" (the 1953 version)were a bit skittish about having "real people" in the movie.:

"Maude Young" (Thelma Ritter)- A "thinly disguised Molly Brown."

Thomas Andrews and Bruce Ismay are absent.

"Mr. Mc Dermott" is the band leader.

Lightoller appears to be the only officer identified other thant Capt. Smith.

Of course, the Astors, Strauses, Widener and Guggenheim and possibly some others do make appearances.

Does anyone spot others ?

Et Cetera, Et Cetera and So Forth !

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Yep, here's some more:

Charles Fitzsimons plays Chief Officer Wilde.

Barry Bernard is First Officer Murdoch.

Guy Standing Jr. plays George Widener.

Dennis Frazer is Harold Bride.

Ashley Cowan is Jack Phillips.

May 3, 2005
>>Charles Fitzsimons plays Chief Officer Wilde.<<

Oops ! Missed that one. Also on the commentary mentions that Charles Fitzsimons was Maureen O' Hara's brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.