Samuel Phipps

James Peck

May 30, 2011
My Great-Great Uncle was supposed to be booked passage on titanic. However due to him missing the train at Nottingham, By time he got to southampton Titanic had already sailed. Is there anyway i can find a list of passengers who were suppose to turn up but they didnt?????

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Is there anyway i can find a list of passengers who were suppose to turn up but they didnt?????<<

Probably not. White Star wasn't especially interested in keeping a list for a voyage which never occured. If they did, it was buried in some dusty old archive and has yet to see daylight.

Peter Crowley

Apr 16, 2007
Hi Michael

1. Does that mean the Manifest List was created as the passengers turned up at the departure points ?

2. Presumably so the tickets sold had the name of the purchasers on it ?

3. Is there ANY indication of what information (apart from the name of the intended passenger) was handed over when the ticket was first bought ? It seems that if the lists, in each port of who the tickets were sold could be uncovered, it would tell a lot.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Peter, documentation would have been created every step of the way, starting with the contract ticket list which would have been compiled from information collected by agents who sold the tickets. A final manifest would, of neseccity, been put together as passengers arrived to embark.

The problem here is not so much that records weren't kept. The problem appears to be that they either haven't survived, or haven't been found. After any refunds were made, White Star would have had little reason to retain them or much care about where any were filed over the long term.

Peter Crowley

Apr 16, 2007
Thanks for your reply, Michael. That's a pity, especially in light of the inquest that was later held. I was wondering when it said "James Moran - 22 years old - General Labourer" if that 22 years of age definitely referred to James Moran rather than my Granduncle who was 22 at the time. That would significantly narrow down from the 92 James Morans from the 1911 census. There were 8 who were 21 on Census night 1911 (2nd April), and 7 who were 22 on that night. So a max of 15 potentials.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The inquest wasn't much interested in a voyage which never occured or passengers who never embarked, and this lack of interest wasn't out of line. Their primary concern in terms of people was in identifying those who did sail and those who went down with the ship.

Dec 6, 2000
Hi Peter,

The age and occupation appears next to the name of James Moran on the Queestown Boarding List.
Even the lists of deceased passengers have the name as Moran, although on one there is a note.
208280.jpg

You ask: >>Does that mean the Manifest List was created as the passengers turned up at the departure points ?<<
By Manifest List I will assume you refer to what I call the Boarding Lists. Given the errors within those Lists - Names of passengers who did not board still included. In some cases with lines through them in others without a tick which indicates they boarded. Names of passengers who did board omitted. - they were complied at an earlier time and used to provide the figures given on Titanic's Certifiates for Clearance.