Say the wreck lay in shallower water

A

Adam Tarzwell

If say the ship sank in depths below 2,000 feet I wonder if the rate of decay would greater or lower than it is sitting in depths of over 12,000 feet. Anyone have any information on this?

Aaron Zaffuto

Oct 7, 2005
Adam,
If you look at the Britannic it sits in 395 feet of water and is in far better condition then the titanic. You also have to consider the titanic would be in my opinion better condition if it haden't broke in 2.(I have read that a pile of metal such as the break point will accumulate more rusticles)

A

Adam Tarzwell

Good points Aaron. Considering all the carnage and the natural elements of now 93 years I guess the ship still is in pretty good condition all things considering and research proves the deeper into the wreck you go the better preserved it is. I wonder what the 3rd class areas are like... if corridors are intact, bunks still in their place. Oh the what ifs..... part of the reason I think we are all so intrigued by Titanic.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
By the same token, if you look at the Andrea Doria, she's in far worse shape, has been on the bottom for a little over half a century, and lies in water about the same depth as the Britannic. The superstructure is effectively gone and this is reputed to be one of the noisiest wrecks on the ocean floor.

While being in deeper and colder waters can generally lead to better preservation, this is anything but a hard and fast rule. The Britannic lies in warmer waters but is better preserved then her more notorious sister.