Not open for further replies.

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Hello everyone.
I was interested in knowing what book have you
been searching for the longest to add to your
Titanic collection? Is there a particular book
that has eluded you for some time? One you have
not been able to find after many searches.
Thanks, Patty

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I had been trying for the longest time to get Leslie Reade's "The Ship That Stood Still." I know it's not one of the "classic" collectables, but it's not one of the easiest titles in the world to find either. I finally lucked out several months ago. Cost me a hundred dollars, but it was worth it.

Jan 7, 2002
The one rare Titanic book I never owned that Im still on the hunt for is
"An Unsinkable titanic" by J Bernard walker, 1912...

Thats #1 on my want list-
I have had copies of every other hardcore Titanic book, save for the Chapin and Brit Inquriy books, and sadly sold most of my collection off...Im currently in my rebuilding mode...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
Took the longest time:
Perhaps my author-signed Beesley - 15 years.

Still looking:
A signed Gracie. The closest I came to it is a copy signed by his daughter.

Kalman

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Tarn,

"The one rare Titanic book I never owned that Im still on the hunt for is
"An Unsinkable titanic" by J Bernard walker, 1912...

Thats #1 on my want list-"

That makes two of us! I've been searching for that book ever since I read excerpts of it in the Titanic Commutator. No luck yet, but I'm not giving up.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Aug 29, 2000
I was very fortunate in finding the Walker book, signed by the author for 25 dollars in 1984. I was at an antiques show featuring furniture and glassware but I always ask for Titanica at every booth. You can imagine how surprised I was when the man opened a 1780's chiffonier and pulled the book out! I do not believe it was issued with dust cover. I have been offered 500 for it so it was a good investment.
77832.jpg

Aug 29, 2000
The title was actually An Unsinkable Titanic- Every Ship It's Own Lifeboat (Dodd, Mead & Co 1912)with the dedication "to the Chief Engineer John Bell and his staff of 33 assistants who stood at their posts in the engine and boiler rooms to the very last and went down with the ship." The Chapters include I. Introduction, II The Ever-present Dangers of the Sea, III Every Ship Its Own Lifeboat, IV Safety Lies in Subdivision, V. The Unsinkable Great Eastern of 1858, VI The Sinkable Titanic, VII How the Great Ship Went Down, VIII Warship Protection Against Ram, Mine and Torpedo, IX Warship Protection as Applied to Some Ocean Liners, X Conclusions
There are 37 illustrations and photographs. I am happy to provide more information if there is any interest. Mr. Walker, I believe was a frequent contributor to Scientific American magazine.

Oct 13, 2000
Walker was not only a contributor to Scientific American, he worked as an editor for the publication as well. from what I have been able to dig up (which is not much), he was apparently a naval architect by profession.

his book is really one of the hardest to find. as a matter of fact it made it on my list as one of the ten scarcest Titanic books. so those of you who have managed to acquire one - congratulations!

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Jan 7, 2002
Michael, what are the 10 rarest Titanic books in your view?
Here is my guess, in no particular order
(this excludes privately published funeral memorial books, such as the 1912 Henry Harper book)

(1)An Unsinkable Titanic by J Bernard walker 1912
(2)Titanic by Filson Young 1912
(3)Thomas Andrews shipbuilder by Shan Bullock 1912
(4)Bibliotheca titanica(?) by Howard Chapin 1926
(5) Olympic/Titanic Shipbuilders book 1911
(6)Sinking Of the Titanic by Jack Thayer, 1940
(7)Titanic and Other Ships by CH Lightoller 1935
(8) A Day In the Shipyard by..(?) 1911
(9)Titanic by Elbert Hubbard
(10)Truth About The titanic by Archibald Gracie 1913

As for the Walker book, a copy sold on Ebay within the past 2 years for around $400.

Michael, would this list be the rarest 10?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Mar 20, 2000
There is a big German book on Titanic with quite a good cover that was published in 1912. I saw it in Doug Willingham's collection recently. Maybe he can give info on it. It seems like it would be very rare.

That's quite an interesting book there Shelley - will you be bringing this to show in Texas?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Kalmin I just wanted to let you know that I got the e-mail that you sent me. With my own computer in the shop getting the hard drive replaced, I'm having to use Mum's rig to get it. I'm not going to get in the habit of using her machine to send out a lot of replies.

Regards Leslie Reade's book, I got a copy this year through Amazon.com's used book service. As I said, expensive, but worth it.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Yeah...it sure does.
sad.gif
Still, since I have to fork over the bucks anyway to replace the hard drive, I'm going to get the latest operating system and office suite that Microshaftsoft has to offer. XP Pro!

If I gotta do it, I might as well do it right.
smoke.gif

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
Michael,

Sorry to hear about the computer trouble - I hope everything will be fixed soon.

About the book: I did not mean Leslie Reade (of which there is a copy for sale on e-Bay right now), but Leslie Harrison. If you are still missing this one and would like to get it, let me know privately and I will let you know the seller's contact information. The book's description is as follows:

Harrison Leslie ~ A Titanic Myth The Californian Incident ~ William Kimber London 1986 ~ H/B, d/w covered, photographs. Very good copy. ~ 273pp + 8pp index & bibliography ~ AUD$60

Kalman

Mar 23, 2003
Noting the posts on Microsoft and ships I thought I would post an unexpected experience that happened to me in 1998 while on an Alaskain cruise.

Our first stop in the inner passage was Ketchikan. While shopping for souvenirs one of the shop clerks informed us that Bill Gates was coming in on the next boat. My friend asked me who Bill Gates was.

Mar 23, 2003
Sorry I hit the post before I was done.

We were walking back to our ship when a ship from the Crystal line came into port. Not only was Mr. Gates on the ship he had rented the whole ship for the week. You could not even get around their pier due to the people trying to get a shot of the famous billionare.

Jul 12, 2003
When I read about these scarce books, I feel like I have to go find them....I enjoy a good hunt...makes me feel like Indiana Jones!

Oct 13, 2000
Tarn, for my list of the 10 hardest books, I didn't include any book that has been reprinted in a modern edition. items like Bullock, or the original Shipbuilder, etc. which are scarce indeed in the first editions are fairly easily available in modern reprints.

if you only consider books that have not been reprinted, the list of the hardest books to find comes up very differently. here is the page on my website which shows my picks, along with images of all the book covers.

http://titanicbooksite.com/articles/tenhardest.html

although not on my list, I agree that the Chapin and Young books are indeed very difficult to find, and neither of these have been reprinted, so they certainly would be considered candidates as well.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Status
Not open for further replies.