Scotland Road by Jeffrey Hatcher

KeriAnne Gura

Mar 18, 2005
Has anyone ever heard of this play before? It's loosely based on a weekly world news article about winifred coutts being found on an iceberg. i am currently in the show playing winnie and would like to know all i can about her. i have found photos of her sons, but not her. i have found mentions of the wwn article, but no story. there was even something about her and a mummy on one of the strings. can anyone help? photos - the wwn story - background details - anything would be great.
the play is really quite cool if you're up for some light reading. hatcher distorts many facts for the sake of the fictional play, but it's still fascinating.

any assistance is much appreciated!
THANKS!

Dec 8, 2000
Hello KeriAnne,

I've read the play a few times and have a copy of the script, but I've never seen it performed. It had quite a few productions in the past few years owing to interest in Titanic revitalised by Cameron's film, so I've also read quite a few reviews. Still not quite the same as seeing the show, is it.

Did you check out Winifred's entry on the ET site? If you haven't found it yet, go to https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org and search on her family name. There's a photo of her there too.

I don't have a copy of the WWN story the play was inspired by, but others here are bound to. (I didn't know the WWN story was about Winifred Coutts, so you learn something new every day, eh.)

Please do post more about the production you're in too.

KeriAnne Gura

Mar 18, 2005
i did find the coutts' entries on titanica, but i didn't see a picture anywhere of her, just the boys. am i missing it? could you tell me where to look exactly?
the production is in indiana - a group that's part of the "league of chicago theatres." they've been around for 20 years. so far we've delved quite a bit into the history of the ship and the specific passengers mentioned. the director has been trying to get a hold of jeffrey hatcher, but so far he hasn't had any luck. me, i'm focused on learning pages and pages of dialogue while acquiring a welsh accent!

thanks for the info! and if you know where that picture is i'd appreciate being sent in the right direction. it's become a treasure hunt at this point!

Dec 6, 2000
At the bottom of Winnie's: Person Summary, click onto: Click here for the full Encyclopedia Titanica Biography of Winnie "Minnie" Coutts, there is a picture right at the top of that page. To have seen the boys pictures you would have done the same exercise.

Hope that helps.