Scuddle and raise

C

Chris Nicholson

Im sorry that this does have nothing to do with the Titanic, but you fine people seem to be people who would know. Do you know of any job that lets you scuddle and/or raise ships. For some reason I am facinated with a ship sinking. And I am also facinated with it being raised.

Steve Smith

Mar 20, 2011
As regards sinking ships for a living - I vaguely remember a scheme where ships were being sunk to create artificial reefs or something. I think there's actually an argument that sinking ships can be less environmentally damaging than breaking them up on shore.

Failing that you could always join the French Secret Service (in-joke for Greenpeace supporters out there...)

T

Timothy Brandsoy

A ship was intentionally sunk here off the coast of San Diego a year or so ago, for the reason you mentioned, and for recreational dives. Actually it sunk before it was supposed to. Any of you scuba divers been there yet? I'd love to, but I get claustrophobic under water LOL.

Tim B

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
Seek career guidance.

Par excellence, take a degree in naval architecture, marine engineering or ocean engineering, canvassing meanwhile the firms of practising naval architects etc. in your target locality.

Otherwise, join the merchant marine and work your way up to at least licensed first mate (or whatever they're calling it these days) then apply to join a salvage company (they usually don't have the need or the resources to employ anything other than 'finished products' personnel-wise.

Or go to sea 'on deck' and with luck and some directionality you could end up working for a savage company.

It helps to speak Dutch. And by the way, the word is 'scuttle'.

NFJ

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Steve notes with regard to ship sinking...
"Failing that you could always join the French Secret Service (in-joke for Greenpeace supporters out there...)"

The down side is getting caught and ending up in prison. I was in Auckland at the time and it was areal shock when the Warrior was sunk.

If it was up to me they would have been shot. it was an act of unprovoked state terrorism in our port.
I wonder what America would have done if it was done in New York?

Martin

Steve Smith

Mar 20, 2011
Martin -

I agree!
And you're right: I bet the American response would have been slightly more... erm... robust. Quite right too!

Steve

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I have several (none of them good) stories about Greenpeace. One includes them spray painting valgur words on the side of the QE2 as she went to drydock some years back.

Erik

Jul 9, 2002
Depending on your personal view of the Ladies and Gentlemen of the Greenpeace Organization, the following tale will either amuse or horrify you. Either way, I mean no offence to you personaly, I just thought this would be a fun "sea-story" to tell you all on this thread.
About 6 years ago I was a Sailor in the US Navy. I was in an F/A-18 squadron aboard the USS Carl Vinson on WestPac 96'. Being that the Vinson is a Nuclear powered Carrier, there were certain individuals that were none to pleased that we were sailing in the waters near their homelands. (Understandable if you hate the idea of Nukes.) We saw our share of protesters in every port we hit on cruise. (Japan was an interesting place to go that is for sure!) When we got to Hobart, Tasmania however, things took an interesting turn. As we pulled into the harbour into Hobart, our Aircraft Carrier (Now remember folks, this is a Ship that is as long as 4 and 1/2 football fields and is 110 feet from waterline to flightdeck. In short it is HUGE!!!) was surrounded by a fisty group of Greenpeace activists in small rubber dinghy's. About 30 people in all circled in front of and around the ship shaqking their fists and shouting things that are better left unprinted on this fine webpage. They also had HUGE magnetic signs they were trying to stick to the side of the ship as well as several cans of spray paint. Our Marines manned the 50 caliber machine guns all around the ship and we launched 2 SAR Helicopters.
Now by this time, almost the entire 5,000 man crew was up on the flightdeck waving and smiling at the boaters. (Protesters were by this point of cruise, quite humorous) After REPEATED warnings from our Captain over the loudspeaker to leave the area around our ship, we moved in. The 50 cal's on all sides opened up with a barrage of BLANKS! You should have seen the faces in those boats! They thought they had started WWIII! Most took off running but a few caught on to our ruse and moved in even closer! Without warning, one of our UH-60B SeaHawks moved in and sent an enormous amount of roter wash into the crafts completly soaking the crews and ruining their signs. Knowing full well that we could capsize them if we wanted they tucked tail and sped off to fight another day!! The entire Deck cheered and laughed and once we were peirside, a huge amount of us treated the Marines and Helo crews to Beers on Us!
Funny Stuff! (To some not to others I understand!=)..)
Thought some might enjoy that little tale.
Cheers,
Ryan

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Terrorism is Terrorism regardless of what we think of Greenpeace. It was also an agressive act against the state of New Zealand which British and US intelligence agencies knew of in advance but did not warn us since we were in the process of going nuclear free.
1 life or 3000, those DGSE agents meant to kill and are no different to Al Qaeda.

Martin

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Erik,If I can I will. and thanks for your sharing your knowledge esp on the Big Fitz and Lusitania.

Martin
happy.gif