Sean Connery as Captain Smith?

Aug 10, 2014
Portsmouth, VA USA
Hello guys, I've wondered what JC's Titanic movie would've been like if Sean Connery had played the part of Captain Smith. To me, it would've made for some interesting acting. I do know that he had a bit part in the movie "A Night To Remember".

What do y'all think?

titan

Aug 15, 2014
Mount Gambier Australia
hi there Michael,

personally I don't think that it would have been very good because you must remember that the film was made in 1997 and he wouldn't have been convincingly old there, when the real captain smith sailed on Titanic he was 62 and ready to retire. but that's just my idea

Aug 10, 2014
Portsmouth, VA USA
Sean was born in 1930, so he was 67 when Cameron's Titanic was released. I don't know how long it took to make the movie, but I think that SC would've been at least 62 at that time. So he feasibly could've played Capt. Smith (they could've made some of his facial hair a little whiter).

titan

Aug 15, 2014
Mount Gambier Australia
well you make a good point, although James Cameron is not really good at making movies so it is no ones fault. when you watch the movie several times you notice that the captain doesn't really have much of a role so to have an awesome actor like him would have changed the whole movie. I myself am not to fond of the movie

Aug 10, 2014
Portsmouth, VA USA
well you make a good point, although James Cameron is not really good at making movies so it is no ones fault. when you watch the movie several times you notice that the captain doesn't really have much of a role so to have an awesome actor like him would have changed the whole movie. I myself am not to fond of the movie
Ah, got ya

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
Sean Connery maybe would have leaped at the role. He has the British accent and could have worn an officer's cap in all the scenes, thus avoiding the display of his balding head or his hairpiece.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Titan, I have to disagree with you about James Cameron - he has two of the highest grossing films of all time to his credit, proving that he wasn't just a one hit wonder. I agree that there have been, and are "better" directors, but purely in terms of being able to create a blockbuster, Cameron has it nailed.

As for Sean Connery, he would have been good at the role but i'm not sure whether his star power would have detracted from the other major players in the film. You can have TOO many big names in one film. Besides, Bernard Hill did a perfectly good job. Makes you wonder who else might have been considered for the role though.

Cheers,
Adam.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Sean (Shawn) Connery would not have worked as Smith (Shmith) since he had a strong Scottish (Shcottish)/Edinburgh accent and tends to pronounce words beginning with the letter 's' as a 'sh'. Make-up could have made him look older but he is much taller than was Captain Smith who would have spoken with a Staffordshire accent which is an English West Midlands accent.

Jim C.

Aug 10, 2014
Portsmouth, VA USA
Based on movie clips that I've seen, Bernard Hill was a great choice for the role of Smith. Sean Connery just came into my mind as an actor who could pull of a seasoned mariner.

I appreciate all the responses, though! :D

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
What was Smith's height? Based on his photo poses alongside others, I think he must have been sawed off and short. Maybe best portrayed by a little, squat guy?

Mickey Rooney is dead now.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Well as long as we're going that far off course, how about Christopher Lloyd as Captain Smith, Tim Curry as Lightoller, and Steve Buschemi as Frederic Fleet.

titan

Aug 15, 2014
Mount Gambier Australia
Michael,

your question is still a good one. I believe that when JC made Titanic he wanted someone who did look like the captain but not someone who could outact his two main characters, therefore he should get someone who could be easily given a small role and not hear a lot of complaints about it. I am not a JC fan, he copies films from everyone, Aliens he copied form Alien. piranha 2 from piranha 1. Avatar from fern gully. Titanic from A night to remember. he even copied his own film the Abyss with Sanctum.

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
I think there was much more effort casting Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet into their respective roles - more so than any of the real people involved.

Aug 10, 2014
Portsmouth, VA USA
What was Smith's height? Based on his photo poses alongside others, I think he must have been sawed off and short. Maybe best portrayed by a little, squat guy?

Mickey Rooney is dead now.
So far, I haven't been able to find stats on Smith's height, but he's been described as "above average height". AFAIK, Mickey Rooney was much shorter.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Titan,

There's nothing wrong with taking an "idea" and turning it into something better. People who work in the arts have been doing that since arts has existed. At least Cameron can't plagiarise his own work. ;)

Cheers,
Adam.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Just spotted this thread and I see the old urban myth that Connery was in 'A Night to Remember' has been revived. To those who still believe this, I say "point him out".

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Hello Bob.

Actually Connery was an extra in that film and played a 3rd Class passenger. This from the Filmography on his official web-site.

"1958 Another Time, Another Place
1957 A Night to Remember
1957 Action of the Tiger
1957 No Road Back
1957 Time Lock
1954 Lilacs in the Spring"

I've written to him querying this. if I get a reply I'll post it.

Regards,

Jim C.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I'd love to see that reply, Jim. In the meantime, just tell us where you've seen him in the film. And keep in mind that movie stars employ researchers to compile their websites, and those researchers get their listings not from the busy star him or herself but from other sites like imdb, which are far from infallible. My own sources include the British Film Institute and a correspondence with Rocky Taylor, Connery's friend and stunt double and son of Larry Taylor, who played the bearded seaman who is most often mistaken for Connery in ANTR.