Search for HMAS Sydney II

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
See the chart I posted when I stuck my neck out months ago. It's way back up the thread.

I believe they are going on the secret report Detmers tried to get to Germany while he was a prisoner. I see no reason to doubt its truth, but of course it's subject to the limitations of the navigation of the period.

I'm looking forward to crowing, or hanging my head in shame!

Michael Byrne

Oct 11, 2006
I noticed the 4th March report didn't elaborate at all (deliberately?) on the "interesting target" used to test the towed equipment. Any known "interesting" targets around where the Geosounder was on the 4th ?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I heard the news while sailing today. Appropriate!

The searchers give a position 112 miles off Steep Point, Western Australia in 2560 metres. I haven't crunched the numbers yet, so I don't know if I'm crowing or cringing.

The Lat and Long will have to be released sooner or later, when a prohibited area is declared. I should think this will be a joint German/Australian effort.

Let's hear it for the team!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Let's hear it for the team!<<

Hip, hip, hooray!
Hip, hip, hooray!
Hip, hip, hooray!

At least they now know they're in the ballpark. Even if they've only found one of the goal posts. The Sydney couldn't have got that far away in her condition.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Even I know ballparks don't have goal posts!<<

Depends on the game being played.

That said, this is a remarkable discovery if the findings actually hold up. The sonar imagry is nice, but has anyone actually gone down there to eyeball the wrecks and find something unmistakable to confirm it? A name on the stern would be pretty cut and dried.