Search for HMAS Sydney II

J

Jeff Brebner

>>And he may be on to something but again, I'm not sure I'd read too much into that either. It is exceedingly rare for a ship to go down on a more or less even keel. Even Titanic exhibited some of the signs of a potential rollover in the making but the break up put a stop to that. Damage taken in combat sufficient to sink a ship is as catastrophic as it is random. I'd be amazed if a ship sunk in this fashion didn't roll over at some point in the sinking.<<

Were those type of turrets held in by gravity? Bismarck's were and all fell off the ship when she rolled over. If the Sidney's were then that could possibly indicate she didn't capsize, since they seem to still be in place, albeit battered.

Michael Byrne

Oct 11, 2006
Well - let's be cautious here. It could well be that they're held in by gravity - but either way the turrets would still be 'lowered into place'. If the turrets were then secured in place afterwards, the means for doing this might not be obvious from the lowering pictures. Michael - are those pictures available online?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The ship wouldn't need to roll right over to prevent boats being lowered, assuming any were fit to use. Just a big list would do the trick.

David Mearns is aware of the navigational anomalies that I raised earlier and I'll discuss them with him as time and eyesight permit. Something is certainly wrong with the German account.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Sydney Morning Herald:

Ship to give up final secret
quote:

IN HMAS Sydney's last hours a sailor, badly battered, with German shrapnel lodged in his forehead, managed to get onto a raft and drift away from the burning wreck.

By the time the raft reached Christmas Island weeks later, in early 1942, the sailor was dead. No one else from the ship lived to tell the man's story.

But navy investigators believe they are close to closing one of the war's most intriguing cold cases, narrowing the identity of the sailor to just four of the crew.
More at http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/ship-to-give-up-final-secret/2008/08/21/1219262417173.html

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Daily Democrat:

Australia honors 645 sailors lost in WWII sinking
quote:

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Tearful relatives of sailors lost in a World War II sea battle threw flowers into the sea on Wednesday as Australia marked the 67th anniversary of the sinking of the HMAS Sydney - the first since the ship was found on the ocean floor after decades of mystery.
More at http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_AUSTRALIA_WWII_SHIP?SITE=CAWOO&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-11-19-07-34-56