Search function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerry Clare

Apr 5, 2007
Please would some kind soul offer an idiot's guide to the most efficient way of using the search function? How do I search for topics using more than one keyword? I've tried doing this but get hundreds of matches where only one of the keywords is present. I've tried using AND, +, and other variations to no avail. Maybe I'm getting the spacing wrong or something. I'm not very experienced with computers, but I've found search functions can differ quite a bit, and you have to know exactly how to ask.

I don't want to post new threads on subjects that will almost certainly have been discussed already.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Kerry---

Type the terms you're looking for into the first line of the search function; select "And" from the drop-down in the second line, and then "Subject lines" in the drop-down two below that. You'll then get a listing of the
thread(s) of which the title contains the terms you entered.

Kerry Clare

Apr 5, 2007
Brilliant! I hadn't even noticed the heading, I was just using the white box in the top right hand corner marked "search", duh!
Thank you very much.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The content of a thread often ranges far beyond the limitations of its title, so you'll get more possible hits from selecting 'text of messages' rather than 'subject lines'.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
I start by searching thread titles; that produces more concise results since only the topic title is displayed rather than the first few words of every message containing the search terms. But Bob's right; that method won't find threads which have ranged/strayed/rampaged into subjects not shown in the title. If a title search doesn't produce anything helpful, a message content search might.

Related to this, btw, is the requirement that message topics be descriptive of the subject matter, rather than uninformative titles like "I have a question" or "Can anybody help me?" These obviously won't show up in "Subject line" searches. That's why such titles are almost invariably changed to something more informative by one of the moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.