Second Class Cabins

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I know there were quite a few second class cabins on the Titanic. However, I am interested mainly in the D-deck second class cabins. I have an image I found concerning such a cabin. However, I wanted to know if the cabins on D-deck looked similar to the photo I've included.

2cabin.gif

Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 3, 2010
All second class cabins were the same, except how many people they could hold, there were a few that were a bit nicer then most, because they were first-class alternatives, these would have carpet etc.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Rocky, you're a pretty cool kid, but I would still not argue with Lester, at least without any tangible proof. I would look on these deck plans. They give you a pretty good idea of the layout of the ship. They might not be too clear, but you can see a plan of the cabins. To clear up any misconceptions:

W= Wardrobe
FL= Literally, Folding Lavatory or Washbasin

The rectangles with numbers in them mark the berths. The numbered rectangles that include tiny x's are berths that double as sofas and sleeping quarters. The couch folds our into two berths, which is why they are labeled as two berths. In second class, the amount of berths ranges, I think, from 4 berths to 6 berths. However, I haven't thoroughly looked through the plans, but there is a possibility they could have had as many as 8 berths or as little as 2 berths. Maybe Lester can verify this for us.

Mar 3, 2010
Sorry, i just remember seeing a drawing of an olympic class cabin with one bed, maybe it was for first class, just labeled wrong, or something.

Mar 3, 2010
And thanks.

Lester do you think you could help us.

Or maybe you can ID the drawing for me, it has a single bed and a couch in it, theres a lady in the picture, with things on the bed, like a hat, i think.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Rocky, it's always a bit hard to be sure with artwork, but the object in the top left corner is presumably intended to be a stowed 'Pullman' berth, pivoted upwards against the wall. As Ben said, in some (not all) cabins the sofa would convert into 2 more berths, but in this case it's probably just a sofa in a 2-berth cabin.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
On the same web page you'll see a link to a pic labeled 'Second class two-berth stateroom'. That one has the convertible type of sofa, so it's actually a 4-berth stateroom.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
It's OK. I doubt anyone thinks less of you. Especially me. You probably know a lot more than you give yourself credit for. Have you tried testing your knowledge against a non-Titanic buff. It makes you feel rather smart. You should try it sometime.

I would trust information on this site first, and if you aren't quite sure about something, this is by far the best place to check. There are some of the foremost experts on the Titanic here, rather than an amateur on a foreign site. That is why I choose to ask so many questions here, rather than Google them. But I have to admit, Rocky, you're pretty smart for your age

Dec 6, 2000
Morning Bob,

Looking at the so-called 2-berth room I think it will be one of the inside rooms on E-deck that could be 2-berth 2nd Class or single-berth 1st Class. That is why the upper berth is of the Pullman type. If used as 1st Class a 2nd passenger could be berthed if required.

Hope you are keeping well.
With my best wishes,
Lester

Mar 3, 2010
People are not understanding of what I like, they call it an obsession. They think its stupid to have an interest in naval architecture, I could care less about sports or video games. I rather watch Charlie Chaplin movies, then the movies today. I've never really been a kid, i take notes about how things work, draw blueprints, things like that, I've been told I have an old soul. So, really, there isn't that many people to test my knowledge on. A girl or two, but that's all to do with the 1997 movie, which has gotten old. I love this site, I've learned so much about the ship, and no my interest isn;t about Titanic, it's generally the architecture that went into these ships. And thank you all for, helping me on this whole cabin thing, I always thought a pullman berth was a sofa bed. And thanks for the compliments.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
You can't let people determine how you should act, really. The world cannot determine the norm for everybody. I'm quite like you. Some of the older movies are a lot better than the dime-a-dozen action movies that have no plots, simply action. I would much rather have drawn or have written instead of playing sports at your age. Instead of getting various sundries at different sites on a vacation, I got books about the historical significance of the place. I bet many people on this site are in the same boat. You're not alone here.

Have fun with your research on naval architecture. If someone says that you have an obsession, don't even think about it. They have problems when dealing with people who are smarter than them. It makes them feel stupid and as a response they put those smarter than them down. Why do you think smarter people are stereotypically those people who are put down?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Lester. Yes, thanks, I'm well and I trust you are too (though I see you still don't know what time of day it is!
smile.gif
). I've not been spending so much time around ET lately as I'm concentrating on my great mission in life, which is documenting and photographing the interiors of every pub in London, and it's thirsty work! But I haven't forgotten my great Titanic research project, which is of course to discover the onboard price of Woodbines.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>People are not understanding of what I like, they call it an obsession. They think its stupid to have an interest in naval architecture, I could care less about sports or video games.<<

I feel your pain. I don't much care about hot cars or football all that much and that marks me as odd man out where I live. Don't let that worry you. Different people, different tastes, marching to the beat of a different drummer and all that. You just do what interests you and let the rest tend to themselves.