Second Cruise to the Wreck Site in 2012

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From RIANovosti:

Travel companies criticized over Titanic wreckage cruises
quote:

Travel companies that offer 15-day dive cruises to the Titanic's remains have come under under criticism from relatives of those killed in the tragedy.
More at http://en.rian.ru/world/20111116/168758256.html

Comment: Just goes to show that not everybody is happy with all this, and not entirely without good reason.​

Oct 8, 2011
"I like the idea of a costume party, yeah yeah. Now tell me - who will be dressing up as my wife's great
grandfather?" a member of the forum said."

He's perhaps taking it a bit too far with that. Now are these companies actually doing all of this for profit or simply for entertainment purposes? No doubt making money out of this would be very disrespectful to these descendants.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>He's perhaps taking it a bit too far with that. Now are these companies actually doing all of this for profit or simply for entertainment purposes?<<

C) All of the above.

They would be pretty foolish to offer a deal like this without the prospect of making some money. They might very well want to do it at cost out of the goodness of their hearts but they have stockholders to answer to.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Daily Mail:

'I'll take Kate to see Titanic prow for real': Virgin boss Richard Branson and actress to dive 12,500ft to shipwreck
quote:

It is one of the most iconic images in film history. When Kate Winslet stood on the prow of the Titanic in the blockbuster 1997 film, it turned her into an overnight superstar.

Now the actress is set to see the doomed ship for real — courtesy of billionaire Sir Richard Branson.
More at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2063753/Ill-Kate-Titanic-prow-real-Virgin-boss-Richard- Branson-actress-dive-12-500ft-shipwreck.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Comment: Somebody was saying something about the expeditions becoming a sideshow????​

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Independent:

Watch out for the icebergs... cruise recreating Titanic's fateful voyage is sold out
quote:

For some, it might sound too much like tempting fate — and for others, it smacks of "disaster voyeurism". But for more than 2,000 Titanic enthusiasts, the chance to mark the centenary of the maritime disaster by sailing on a large cruise ship to commemorate the sinking on the very spot of the tragedy is proving difficult to resist.
More HERE

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Time Newsfeed:

Would You Take a Replica Cruise of the Titanic's Maiden Voyage?
quote:

To mark the centennial of the Titanic’s sinking, a British company is offering a chance to reconstruct the ship’s fateful journey by traveling to the location where the ship sank.

Marketed towards relatives of those on board, as well as history buffs and those who are simply curious, Titanic Memorial Cruises has organized two voyages that will retrace the transatlantic journey.
More HERE

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Yahoo:

Titanic Anniversary Cruise Offers 50 Percent Discount
quote:

When it comes to famous voyages, the trip of the RMS Titanic is likely one of the most well-known in the history of the travel industry. While the voyage ended in catastrophe, a Titanic Memorial Cruise is retracing the exact route, and serving the same menu, to mark the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster, as reported by the Post Chronicle. While the Titanic Memorial Cruise is sold out, another 100th Anniversary Memorial Cruise from New York is offering cabins for 50 percent off, as reported by USA Today.
More HERE

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
Mike, I wouldn't go even if they flew me 1st Class from Sydney to New York. That's just how I feel. For those going, I don't have any issue.
Many I know have been offered a lecture berth and ALL have declined.
I see quite a few Titanic Historian's / Author's e.t.c are going; whether they got a 'freeby' or a 'discounted berth' for lecturing on the ship I don't know.
But I wish them a safe and enjoyable cruise as with the other passengers.

Jan 28, 2003
Mike, I wouldn't go even if they flew me 1st Class from Sydney to New York.

Well, I probably would, Steve - merely because I have never flown first-class in my life, and I'm sure it must be fun. However, I wouldn't get on the ship at the other end either. Largely because I just couldn't summon up the solemnity that I suspect the occasion will demand, at least when they get to the coordinates. Not 100 years later, and on a commercial cruise.

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
Think of the extra liquor sales at the bars aboard. Or, will the drinks be "on the house?" Will there be a special "Titanic" drink offered that day?

I think that when passengers disembark from these cruises, they may have some remorse. Will the tour operators? Probably not.

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
Yeah, maybe I'd take the 1st class ticket. Never travel 1st ticket before. When I fly I'm always in steerage . . ., or tail class.
But to be honest, the cruise thing just doesn't interest me Monica.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
I must admit I'm not keen on all the ballyhoo of this particular anniversary but will never regret our trip to New York on the Queen Mary 2 two yeas ago. A cheap last minute offer came up which we couldn't refuse and my wife and I left Southampton in April 2010, ten days later than Titanic did in 1912. We experienced similar weather conditions to that of what Titanic must have experienced - without the Icebergs; the water temperature dropped to freezing as we approached the Grand Banks and going into New York under the Verrazano Bridge in the early hours was a wonderfull experience. The Captain announces at what time and how far you will be from the wreck site. I recollect we were 30 miles North with the nearest iceberg 100 miles away.

I can't really understand anyone in the Titanic community knocking the opportunity; there will be other years, so think on.

Jan 28, 2003
It's not a question of knocking the opportunity, Ernie. It's about the commercial aspect of the enterprise - and it could hardly be any different could it, let's be realistic? - and whether one can stand this sort of thing. I'd be absolutely no good at standing at the rail and throwing flowers into the sea in memoriam. I'm sorry everyone - and many of you won't understand this - I'd giggle. So I've never contemplated going, even though I've been asked.

I most certainly wouldn't want to offend others (which I would), and like Steve, I've never been attracted to cruises anyway.

But travelling aboard merchant ships which take just a few passengers .. oh yes. My sister has done it across the Atlantic, and had an absolute ball.