Second Cruise to the Wreck Site in 2012

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
>>>>It's about the commercial aspect<<<<

I can understand that, Monica. I think also it would be just too much 'Titanic'. However much we are interested in the Titanic disaster, strange to say perhaps, but I'm not certain I would like to share the experience with other like minded enthuisiasts. We went on a scheduled transatlantic journey; my wife primarily for the experience of going into New York; for me the added bonus of replicating part of the journey made by Titanic.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Maritime Matters:

British Maritime Heritage Cruise Aboard The MV MARCO POLO
quote:

U.K.-based Cruise and Maritime Voyages (CMV), operators of the 1965-built, 22,080 gt, 800 passenger MV MARCO POLO (ex ALEXANDR PUSHKIN), is promoting a special seven night cruise from Tilbury to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the TITANIC.
More with a photo of the Marco Polo HERE

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It's about the commercial aspect of the enterprise - and it could hardly be any different could it, let's be realistic?<<

Indeed, and while we would like to think that some things must be seperate from money, really, very little is. We may begrudge some of the sappier aspects of this venture and maybe we should. The crocodile tears over an event which happened a century ago do come across as lame.

By the same token, let's not forget that the Titanic and every liner before, during, and since then has been quintessentially about making money. When we raise a toast to the grand ships, were celebrating a business venture.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Monica said, quote:- >>>>But travelling aboard merchant ships which take just a few passengers .. oh yes. My sister has done it across the Atlantic, and had an absolute ball.<<<

I had a look on the internet at passenger travel on merchant ships and apparently they generally keep the passenger numbers to twelve or below to avoid having to provide the services of a doctor on board. A major downside I would have thought, only twelve? "an absolute ball"? an absolute hell if you have 12 incompatible passengers. To cap it all you have to dine with the crew! (joke)

Gary Cooper

Jun 5, 2003
I'm currently reading Michael Palin's 'Around the World in 80 Days' in which he too takes passage on numerous merchantmen going his way, often sleeping in the (vacant) doctor's quarters. He seems to have fun, but then again with a film crew to keep the crew on their best behaviour and the might of the Beeb behind him, maybe it was somewhat manufactured fun.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Cruise Critic:

Titanic Theme Cruise Sell-Off: Why Isn't This 'Historic' Sailing Sold Out?
quote:

(9:45 a.m. EST) -- Amid the hype surrounding the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, cruisers might be surprised to learn that with less than six weeks until April 15, one of two memorial cruises is not yet sold out.
More HERE

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
Mike,
someone on another board posted the weather predictions for the area in mid April. In short, 'moderate to load limit caution adviced'.
eh.gif

Nancy Bratby

Apr 18, 2005
I had the advance notice of the Balmoral cruise five years ago and although it would have been something I'd have loved to do, I took a raincheck as for the same price I could take 6 holidays. Alsoto be honest, like Monica I have difficulty in summoning solemnity on demand. Most likely I would have the irrestible and terrible thoughts of what the Marx Bros would be doing in a similar scenario, whereas I have in fact been overwhelmed by emotion in the most cruddy venue imaginable, in the O2 looking at the bell. And don't get me started on the lines most likely to be heard at the lifeboat drill en route.

It's a perfectly logical way of commemorating a significant anniversary though and I really do understand people's reasons for going on it, if I had the cash I would be except I don't altogether trust myself.